Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
661 - 668 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
New Channels

I was just on another provider's site and they had an interesting area on their new channels page, they also had a column for those presently under negotiation....

This would be a wonderful addition for Shaw channel updates - to see if they are in negotiations for particular channels would be very useful for users to see... I know if I saw they were negotiating for FX and Hollywood Suite, I would be much happier than being kept in the dark.

To only find out when they are literally turning on the switch is not as useful as knowing when they are working toward adding channels. Sometimes greater transparency helps customers to have a more favourable view of their service provider...

I for one would really like to see this added to their "What's new" page on television...

·
Registered
106 Posts
New Channels

I fully agree Roopster, it would be a great addition, and give me a bit of confidence Shaw is listening !
I e-mailed them requesting FX, Hollywood Suite, CBCNews HD, TCM HD, and others,back in November, and never even got their canned response. But a page letting us know what they are trying to get us would be very helpful!

·
Registered
275 Posts
@mismag - It was Telus/Optik... a really nice touch IMHO...

Coming in December:
• Hollywood Suite (Warner Films, MGM Channel, Hollywood Storm, Hollywood Festival)
• Food Network HD
• Mehndi TV HD
• Bollywood Times HD
• FX Canada

Coming in January:
• Rai International

Coming soon, negotiations in progress:
• SPACEHD
• Discovery Channel HD

·
Registered
725 Posts
So I now get the new HD channels. I presume the tech just removed the filter and did nothing else, but I could be wrong. So how come there's not a huge flood of people with the same problem? There must be more than a handful of people who still have the "basic only" filter left on their line. Or perhaps I'm not fully understanding what's really going on, which is highly possible with my track record.
Perhaps because many of these people don't even know about the new channels. I for one have the basic/HP+ and have been busy on other things and have not even checked in DH or scan my Shaw channels for a while. I learned about these new channels because last nite I was watching Global BC on my brother's bigger big screen TV in another room and noticed Global BC on Shaw is getting noticeably worse compression than OTA. First thing I said was "maybe Shaw added new channels and finally started recompress Global".

It's time for Shaw on-line chat support for me, although I don't expect they'll come out and remove my analog filter especially before next year.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Any word on getting CBWFT-HD (or any other SRC HD) through Shaw? This channel is available over the air, is a must-carry station as per section 17(1)(a) and 17(5) of the Broadcast Act - the very same laws that apply to carrying CBC in HD - and the channel is also being carried by your competitor, MTS, and can be picked up with a cheap rabbitears/loop antenna from The Source.

Broadcast Act aside, it's also a really stupid policy decision to not offer a local channel in HD if your subscribers can attach a $5 antenna to their TV and get the same channel in HD. For one thing, it makes customers question whether they really need to pay Shaw $50+/mo for HDTV service.

661 - 668 of 668 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.