Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 668 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2011.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Cable in 2011 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Cable has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces 2010: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118338

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will Shaw support the OWN The New Oprah Winfrey Network

Just a question... will Shaw host .... OWN The New Oprah Winfrey Network..?

·
Registered
437 Posts
From wikipedia:

However, in November 2010, Corus officially announced that Viva was chosen to be rebranded as OWN and that it would launch on March 1, 2011.[7] This is two months later than the January 1, 2011 launch of OWN in the United States, and during that time, selected OWN programming will be broadcast on Viva as well as the Corus-owned W Network.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Anyone have any idea when Canadian timeshifting might come to Lloydminster? Its irritating that I can't get CITY here in Lloyd. It would be nice if they had CITY Edmonton here for the Edmonton Rush games and CITY Toronto for the news.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well if we're getting into what we'd like to see, I'll push for CBS College Sports (especially if it replaces Big Ten network), TCM HD (now that they know that it exists) and CITY HD for all of us in parts of the country where they don't have to carry it. That's what I'd like to see; my expectations of actually seeing any of those added this years is between slim and none.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I am thinking there will be lots of new channels added this year.

With the 5 channels to every 1 you own ratio now on, Shaw has no choice but to increase the amount they carry. This already started with Pet TV, Movieola, Silver Screen classics etc being added into an extensive ala carte offering which is already pretty massive. I think this area is the easier to add stuff into.

I hope 2011 will be the year of Tier reclaimation freeing up more space from those analogue channels.

Regarding HD personally I want to see Setanta HD and Movietime HD. Maybe 2011 will be the year of Spike HD?

Lastly as things role out more with Shaw Media (canwest) I would also hope to see Foodnetwork HD and HGTV HD :) to make the wife happy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would like to see all the American and canadian news channels that are available be on shaw. I would also like to see the much music channels added (but i don't think it will ever happen)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would like to see all the American and canadian news channels that are available be on shaw. I would also like to see the much music channels added (but i don't think it will ever happen)
Which ones are we missing? Off the top of my head the only one I can really think of is Fox Business News. Or perhaps you're hoping for all of the news channels in HD. I'll be honest with you and say that there are channels in HD that are a higher priority for me than the news channels. Space (for example) would be great to see in HD but CTV has made no moves towards doing an HD version of the channel.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Originally Posted by mike70sk View Post
Which ones are we missing? Off the top of my head the only one I can really think of is Fox Business News. Or perhaps you're hoping for all of the news channels in HD.

I was hopping for fox news hd, cbcnews hd and i think ctv news is in hd now, also msnbc when it becomes available in hd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if another Sports channel was get added Id like to see ESPNU.
It kinda sucked that I had to watch the NCAA Womens Volleyball tourney/finals on line from people who were streaming it.
At least there is The Big Ten Network for both the womens Volleyball, & soccer. + the football But they are limited at times. Especially with the womens sports.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Personally I don't think we need anymore sports channels, but the only one I can think of that Shaw doesn't carry right now is CBS College Sports. ESPNU has not been, and likely won't be, approved by the CRTC because nobody has asked for approval and I doubt they will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CBC News HD wound be nice. I would also like to see Fox News HD and MSNBC HD. It annoys me that Shaw still favours CNN. They may have been first but their day has long passed.

1 - 20 of 668 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.