Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 1013 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Olympics in HD

Also, since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics are fast approaching, that's probably when we'll see the new changes (if any major ones). Here in Vancouver, the Olympics can be seen on the following channels:
NBC, CTV, CNBC, MSNBC, OMNI, TSN, TSN2, RDS, Sportsnet, OLN, MuchMusic, APTN, and ATN.

It would be wise for Shaw to hurry up and add more HD channels, in time for the Olympics, because time is running out. We can watch them in HD on NBC, CTV, TSN, TSN2, and Sportsnet, so I wonder if we'll be able to see them on OMNI HD, RDS HD, OLN HD, MuchMusic HD, APTN HD, or ATN HD.

This would also be good timing to add CNN HD, CBC News Network HD, CTV News Channel HD, etc.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I never heard about the Olympics being on MuchMusic and doubt that is happening since they cannot carry sports programming.

Also, MuchMusic, OLN, ATN, CTV News Channel, and OMNI BC do not broadcast in HD yet and I don't think they will be doing so anytime soon. It's been said that the CTV owned networks may be going HD after the Olympics since they will have lots of equipment after that.

One network you forgot to mention is 'V' (formerly TQS) from Montreal. It will also have Olympic coverage and should be added to the line-up, even if just temporarily. I've suggested it to Shaw.

They should also add RDS HD, APTN HD, and OMNI HD and perhaps some of the others you have mentioned. And maybe they will be adding them soon.

On a side note, i'm suprised Shaw carries all 4 feeds of Super Ecran and not just one like most other providers. They must have lots of bandwidth in North Vancouver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well they told me there reviewing the channel lineup right now.

all they told me is in coming months Hd and Digital will be reviewed. So theres no exact dates. But shaw has in the past changed channel lineups in march

cross our fingers its good:D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Super Écran

Yeah I was also surprised when I found that out that North Vancouver was picking up those French channels, especially all four Super Écran channels, yet they're not available in Greater Vancouver. And yeah I agree, I can't see MuchMusic airing much (if any) Olympic coverage, maybe updates during those quick MuchNews segments, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shaw channels

Here in West Kootenay we are 3th CLASS of people. From what I can see Kelowna is getting CTV-HD as well as History-HD, while we in the West Kootenay and possibly East Kootenay are third CLASS or maybe fourth class of citizens - GET ZILCH =:rolleyes:. Yet we pay the same price across CANADA... Sometime ago I requested (at least) CTV-HD and OASIS-HD: reply was, the more demands fot these channels the sooner you will get them. STILL IT SUCKS IN HD FOR WEST KOOTENAY AREA.:eek:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also, since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics are fast approaching, that's probably when we'll see the new changes (if any major ones). Here in Vancouver, the Olympics can be seen on the following channels:
NBC, CTV, CNBC, MSNBC, OMNI, TSN, TSN2, RDS, Sportsnet, OLN, MuchMusic, APTN, and ATN.
MSNBC and CNBC will get blacked out

·
Registered
203 Posts
So I did some searching and the lack of sportsnet besides one seems to be baffling. DOing research on here, sportnet offers and suggests companies carry at least 3, we dont even have 2. Even though shaw direct has all 4.

With this new info, i emailed them and they just gave the same old, no plans to add them, i told them im with bell and want to switch to shaw, but am disappointed with one sportsnet channel.

They said they will take our concerns seriously and report them.

ALl i suggest is you send an email and complain, they are available to shaw, they just dont want to use them.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Well, Shaw does in fact carry 3 Sportsnets, just not in HD. Fear not, i'm sure eventually they will more Sportsnet HD, as most other providers now offer them.

And like I said before, soon there may be only 3 Sportsnets instead of 4, since they, along with TSN, no longer have any restrictions on them in regards to regional programming and time shifting or types of sports programming they can air.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Well, I don't know where you heard that MSNBC and CNBC will get blacked out, but I guess we'll have to see. Anyhow, there will be plenty of coverage on NBC and on Canadian networks like OMNI, ATN, APTN, TSN, and CTV at the very least. And last time I checked, one can only watch one channel at a time, so what's the use of having 10 channels with Olympics when you can really only watch one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still Feel they can provide EASt back

Well for the Sportsnet

I know MTS has all 4 sportsnet offered in a bundle with others. They also have all for in HD too

Shaw has 3 and then they give you the region in HD too. My region is West so I get West in HD.

I asked Shaw if they planned on bring all 4 back.

there answer was

" Thank you for contacting Shaw Eservice.

We continually review our channel offerings with careful consideration to the viewing interests of our customers. We believe the current channel lineup will provide greater value to our customers. The removal of Sportsnet East has given us greater flexibility in providing other specialty channels and HD services. In regards to Sportsnet East, much of the programming that was found there is also on Sportsnet Ontario, West and Pacific. "

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, they were blacked out

MSNBC and CNBC Olympic coverage indeed were blacked out during past Olympics. I recall getting a CNBC world feed instead of the American feed during blackout times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:confused:You lucky people getting all those EXTRA channels - while we in the "GOD FORSAKEN COUNTRY - THIRD PEOPLE CLASS COUNTRY" don't get those channels.:eek: Very sad, and makes one's thoughts wander either to TELUS or BELL SUB'S.....

·
Registered
510 Posts
makes one's thoughts wander either to TELUS or BELL SUB'S.....
@Changala:
Personally, I would never switch to Bell TV since they always simsub US channels. You could switch to Shaw Direct since like Shaw Cable, it varies on where you live if your channels will get hijacked or not. Does your channels get simsubbed where you live? And as for Telus TV and Telus Satellite TV, I'm not sure if they simsub or not

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I don't know where you heard that MSNBC and CNBC will get blacked out, but I guess we'll have to see. Anyhow, there will be plenty of coverage on NBC and on Canadian networks like OMNI, ATN, APTN, TSN, and CTV at the very least. And last time I checked, one can only watch one channel at a time, so what's the use of having 10 channels with Olympics when you can really only watch one.
MSNBC and CNBC are indeed blacked out for Olympic coverage, and secondly we cant watch more than one channel at a time, unless of course you have a PVR and can record that second channel while watching another over lapping event.

41 - 60 of 1013 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.