Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1013 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2010.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Cable in 2010 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Cable has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Shaw 2009 New Channels Discussion

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, I'll start off with an odd one.

Seeing Canada having our own Nickelodeon channel, it made me wish that we could have a Cartoon Network here. It's like Showtime vs Showcase: Same shows, but 7 months later.

As well, I wish we'd carry more direct signals from overseas. I would kill to be able to watch Shameless and other BBC series without having to pay import fees to order the DVDs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Showtime and Showcase are not connected at all. I believe the only current Showtime show on Showcase is Weeds. They have run The L Word and Queer as Folk as well. Shows such as Damages, Rescue Me and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are from the FX Network and Big Love and Curb Your Enthusiasm are from HBO.

Season 2 of Showtime's Dexter is currently running on Bravo, while TMN/MC just finished showing Season 4.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Nothing yet as far as I know. I don't think it's available anywhere in Canada yet.

The only question I have is when is Shaw doing their annual channel re-alignment? I know its going to happen sooner or later, it always does. My guess is March, which is when they usually do it. Pretty soon they won't be able to realign anymore channels, without moving more to digital only. Personally, I think all the channels in the 3 tiers should be moved to digital only because most people who have them, also have digital boxes. Most people who have just analog only have basic channels, no?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Music and HD

Like I said before, it would be great to see bpm:tv on Shaw's channel line-up. It's been out since 2001, and we still don't have it. Bell TV has it, Telus does, Rogers, etc. I understand we can see music on Galaxie/MaxTrax, but it would also be nice to pick up MuchVibe, MuchLoud, PunchMuch, and MuchMoreRetro. CBS College Sports Network would be a nice add too, along with NHL Network HD. It would be awesome to get more HD channels too :cool:

·
Registered
510 Posts
"The only question I have is when is Shaw doing their annual channel re-alignment? I know its going to happen sooner or later, it always does. My guess is March, which is when they usually do it."
Yeah they'll probably do any changes in March, when Sundance Channel Canada and W Movies arrive. Do you think Shaw will be doing major changes and switches to the line-ups or just minor tweaks here and there?

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
They'll probably just do their usual minor changes, but they probably should do a major change and get more analogs on digital and free up more bandwidth to add more hd, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live on Vancouver Island... and am wondering when or if we will ever see CTV West HD... I think it's ridiculous that we only get CTV East out of Toronto...

Both would be great to get the time shift option... but I seems that Vancouver only gets west, and not both.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Yeah, I think that's completely weird of Shaw to only offer CTV HD West to Vancouver customers, it should be the same for everyone in BC. Perhaps you should call them up and complain or at least question why you aren't receiving CTV HD West since you are in BC.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I said this last year so I'll say it again this year. For those of us for whom CITY-TV as a local channel, would it be too much to ask that the station - which really is the fourth English language network - be made available both on analog and HD?

(Actually what I really want, which Shaw can't help me with, is more diversity in ownership. The old Alliance-Atlantis stations really went downhill when Canwest-Global bought them, and I'm not too pleased with what CTV has done with the CHUM stations either. Diversity of ownership is good for everyone.)

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I'm sure your not the only one who wants CityHD and Shaw is one of the only providers not offering it.

As far as diversity goes, I agree totally. Canwest is ruining all the once good channels and CTV ain't doing much better. Corus/Astral are at least doing good with their channels.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I live on Vancouver Island... and am wondering when or if we will ever see CTV West HD... I think it's ridiculous that we only get CTV East out of Toronto...

Both would be great to get the time shift option... but I seems that Vancouver only gets west, and not both.
Yeah, I think that's completely weird of Shaw to only offer CTV HD West to Vancouver customers, it should be the same for everyone in BC. Perhaps you should call them up and complain or at least question why you aren't receiving CTV HD West since you are in BC.
Here's my take...

CTV doesn't really carry enough original HD content to warrant two feeds. If you're looking to pick one of two, it makes sense to carry the eastern version of a network (watch live, or time-shift later; not exactly possible to time-shift earlier). Of course that's assuming most Shaw HD customers have a PVR.

Shaw doesn't have a choice in Vancouver though, as CTV broadcasts OTA there.

The "east or west" equation changed recently with CTV Vancouver going to HD news. Perhaps, as suggested by vjose78, there's now reason for Shaw to swap out the Toronto feed for the Vancouver feed in all of BC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The "east or west" equation changed recently with CTV Vancouver going to HD news. Perhaps, as suggested by vjose78, there's now reason for Shaw to swap out the Toronto feed for the Vancouver feed in all of BC.
It is the HD News out of Vancouver that has me hankering for West HD... other than that... i can get the shows anywhere anytime, with my PVR...

I emailed them and got a reply within an hour the other night..

"We know that there is a significant appetite for this channel on Vancouver Island and our management team is working to have this channel to offer as soon as possible.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to have some good news to share about the launch of this channel soon. That being said, we do not have any definitive timeframe or target launch dates to share.

Thank you for your patience while we work to add this channel to our offering."

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hey, at least you get CTV in HD.
When the Olympics start and Canada's first game is not available in HD in our area I'm gonna be real pissed.
Just give us CTV HD for 2 weeks in late February-thats all I want.
Then junk it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey, at least you get CTV in HD.
When the Olympics start and Canada's first game is not available in HD in our area I'm gonna be real pissed.
Just give us CTV HD for 2 weeks in late February-thats all I want.
Then junk it.
doesn't everyone get an HD ctv channel... albeit I get the Ontario one.. but I thought everyone outside vancouver would also get the ontario one?

·
Registered
708 Posts
No. Satellite/microwave fed systems such as ourselves lose out.
CTV HD I usually would not care about but with the Olympics thats another matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
slightly off topic, but I live in the Gulf Islands (Victoria feed)... anyway, yesterday i built me one of those digital antenna thingies with coat hangers... - I can pick up CTV West HD - crystal clear 1080i.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
bob if you have access to VOD apparently CTV will be uploading complete coverage to VOD the day after events first air on CTV. Not the same but still something.

1 - 20 of 1013 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.