Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Bluesky Not Compatible With Old Equipment

Found out on the Shaw forum if you have Bluesky installed you can't use any of your old equipment in the house anymore, e.g. the original gateway.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
That is correct. The BlueSky system uses a different billing system. Basically your account gets migrated over, and the existing boxes aren't compatible with the new system.

That said, I upgraded to Bluesky TV, so if there's any questions feel free to ask. Note I just have the PVR (no portal)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Nope. Even my father just has the PVR and one portal. You're just not paying any less right now if you only get the PVR.

Another thing to note is that you aren't tied to Bluesky TV for the two year contract. If you don't end up liking it, you are free to go back to your old boxes as long as you stay on at least Internet 30 and Personal TV for the two years. Obviously you can't do that on Bluesky right now, but this should help alleviate concerns for people who aren't sure whether the Bluesky system is for them.

(When signing up, the CSR will play an automated recording which explains this. I also verified with them afterwards that this is the case).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Shaw BlueSky TV Hardware Information

Here's the actual quote from the 2-year Value Plan Agreement (and yes, the above was confirmed by Shaw on their forums)

"Thank-you for signing up for Shaw’s 2-year ValuePlan for Internet and BlueSky TV For a term of 24 months Shaw will provide you with a BlueSky TV box at a monthly rental fee of $15 per month plus applicable taxes. BlueSky TV portals allow for connection of additional televisions and are available at a monthly rental fee of $5 per month plus applicable taxes for each portal. While a service level of Premier TV and Internet 150 is maintained, Shaw will waive the monthly rental fees for up to one BlueSky TV box and one BlueSky TV portal. A minimum service level of Personal TV and Internet 30 (or equivalent services) is required to be maintained for the 24 month term. Television and Internet are provided as the base services under this agreement. Any additional add-ons, plans, channels, rental equipment or other services may be changed at the customer’s discretion and will be charged in addition to the monthly fees for the base services. Details on these services can be found at shaw.ca.

Early Cancellation

If you cancel or suspend your Shaw services or you change your subscription for Shaw services below the minimum service level, you will be immediately charged an early cancellation fee calculated based on $20 per month plus applicable taxes for every month (or partial month) remaining under the term of this agreement. All other charges relating to the Shaw services then due and owing will remain due upon the cancellation of this agreement.
Note that right now you can't switch to a lower plan and opt to rent the PVR and portal at the moment (at least from all their promotions about Bluesky; though I'm double-checking with Shaw).

Edit: confirmed.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,438 Posts
@Shaw Champ: What is the difference between Anywhere DVR content rights and content rights for programs recorded on the EHD of the gateway PVR. How does being in a cloud make it different?
I'm not sure if I have interpreted your question correctly, however, when a service provider negotiates rights from the rights holder, there are separate negotiations/fees/restrictions for the many means of programme delivery:

SD
HD
VOD
Streaming
etc.

That's why some programming may be available only in SD, or not available to stream, or only streams with commercials, etc. Sometimes a programme may air in reruns on a "channel" for years, whereas it may only be available for weeks to stream... I hope that helps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was thinking only about the recording of programs to various destinations. The programs have already been delivered. But I guess the difference is in how you access them "anywhere" via streaming. I've never had a interest in doing that. And I guess I couldn't do that on the gateway PVR. Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Considering moving from Bell Sat to Shaw BlueSky...

Does the BlueSky system still allow for PageUp / Page Down on the remote to be modified to provide a 15 sec skip back and 30 sec skip forward? I read it used to but seen a post that it stopped working recently for someone.

If you pause a live TV show on BlueSky, then resume, does the 30 sec skip forward work?

Any reasons to prefer a Gateway system, it was offered as well if I switch?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Still works for me, and my parents haven't informed me of any issues either. And yes, it works when pausing live TV as well (basically anywhere you are allowed to skip ahead)

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I honestly don't have a lot of experience with the portals, but from the time I spent at my parents' place I never saw a difference.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@Digital79 The main unit can pause live TV for an hour the Portal for 25 minutes. The Gateway you can add an external hard drive for more storage space, so there is a physical storage difference.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks for the reply ShawChamp, and thanks for the tip on the pause buffer, I may move the main box then.

We have had the Bluesky system installed for a week or so.

Shaw BlueSky Vs Bell Sat ...

+ Small silent portal units, even the main unit is quiet and can be hidden
+ Pick up recordings on any TV
+ Access to a variety of streaming content from networks
+ Access to CraveTV
+ Sports scores on screen
+ Price from Shaw far better for first year
+ No need for dish hanging off deck, no bad weather loss of signal

- MSNBC in SD only
- Only 500GB of PVR storage, not expandable
- BlueSky box has needed to be rebooted a couple times
- Picture quality different, skin tones sometimes off, more compression?

Overall glad to have moved.

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
@dm_4u I moved your thread from the Shaw Gateway forum since it's doubtful that the Gateway hardware will ever have a 4K-capable PVR.

Comcast will probably introduce the 4K hardware in the not-too-distant future - I haven't checked lately. Once the kinks are all worked out, Shaw will probably roll out a 4K system as part of BlueSky and begin offering 4K channels.

They will probably do that to compete with Telus, which already has 4K, but will probably extend it to Winnipeg as well since it's only a matter of time before Bell implements their 4K technology at Bell MTS.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts