Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what Shaw does if you go over your bandwidth cap? (I had a friend who was cut off after repeatedly going over his cap. But this was years ago)

The Shaw website doesn't say anything about overage fees like in Ontario with Bell and Rogers. The rep I talked to said that they will recommend me to move to the next tier (i.e. 7.5 to 15). Does Shaw even pay attention?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
From what I can tell, it is based on how often (and by how much) you go over the cap every month. 10-20GB extra? You won't hear a thing. 100GB over? You'll probably get the e-mail warning.

That said, I have a friend that torrented over 700GB in one month, and they never said a word. I certainly wouldn't want to chance that one though!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
happened to a friend of mine, they slowed his net down to a snails pace and warned him with a letter,

he can now go to online customer care and monitor his usage

don't know for sure but I probably go over a bit quite often and haven't heard a thing, have done like 20gb since friday, I'm 100gb now but when I was 60gb, I could do that in 3 weeks easy

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was warned once, didn't cut back enough I guess, then they shut us off for a week. This was back before they had publicly announced caps.

I think they generally let the bits flow, but if someone calls in to complain that their connection is slow, they will then start looking at traffic and usage on that node. If they do find someone using 'excessive' bandwidth, they will then look into it further.

·
Registered
403 Posts
They usually don't cut off, but they warn you and slow down your internet. They'll warn you even if you're 5GB over limit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have never been warned.. download lots.. 400-800gb a month..

although i never really upload much.. i think they care about that usage alot more..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts