Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm of two minds on this development.

1. It sucks to pay more money to use more bandwidth if you're used to maxing out your connection full-time and only paying the base fee.

2. Ultimately, I think a billing system where you pay for what you use makes the most sense for any sort of utility (and yes, Internet service is more or less a utility now). I think those that barely use any internet bandwidth should pay next to nothing and those that use it a lot should pay substantially more. Just like electricity.

Of course, Telus could use this to it's competitive advantage with lower bandwidth rates to make up for the fact that the performance of DSL is less than cable internet.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
These rates seem reasonable to me overall. Hopefully they will fully communicate this with their clients and have a grace period as well so heavy downloaders don't get caught off guard.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
good thing this wasn't last month for me, I wiped my laptop and bought a new desktop in the same month,
my torrents alone were over 450 GB, not to mention all other downloads and updates, plus online gaming regular internet use, etc,
was on extreme at the time, decided to upgrade to warp,

but if shaw is going to charge more, they should have something where you can moniter your bandwidth

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not Mentioned

I looked at the link and noted that for about half the months I exceed the limit and vice versa. However, two aspects are not clear.

What is a "month". Shaw should specify for each customer from what date it is measuring that customer's traffic.

Secondly, if you don't use your allotted bandwidth, then it should be banked to cover a month when you might exceed it. I.e., let's not make the bill too asymmetric.

The bank balance should be shown on each bill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
753951 said:
I have many times, and I was never able to find where I can see how much I have downloaded.
I remember having to call Shaw to get the bandwidth monitor tool active on my profile. I'm not with Shaw anymore for obvious reasons, or I'd show you the screenshot.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unfortunately Shaw's bandwidth monitor tool (Modem usage) doesn't work very well.

Last month I downloaded about 75GB. Checked the Shaw bandwidth tool and it show I used 24GB. The Previous month I used around 90 GB, Shaw's tool shows 38GB. The same type of discrepancy is there every month that is listed in the tool.

If they are planning on implementing an overage charge then their bandwidth tool better be accurate. I don't want to see it reporting that I only used 30GB and then getting a bill for additional usage because some other tool they are using is showing 100GB.

I wonder if this new overage charge is in response to all the streaming services (like Netflix) competing with their VOD services.

·
Registered
502 Posts
hmm interesting, so u have to be proactive and actually sign up for these packages in the month that you know you're going to go over? on the bottom in fine print it says the charges are actually $1/GB if you go over the limit without overage packages.

·
Registered
560 Posts
can't say I have any interest in going through Shaw's website and delete their e-mails as junk, was this notice included with the paper bill?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Erm, they do... login to your account at secure.shaw.ca
buddy of mine said the same thing, its not there on my account, I've checked on a few other peoples they don't have it,

he said his wasn't there until they warned him for overages, then it was there when he logged in

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I upload alot, i'm on a private torrent site, that you need credits to download, you get credits by uploading,

that doesn't even count my netflix

now Since the shaw counter(that I don't have anyway) is inaccurate is there anything I can use to keep track of my bandwidth,

I reset my torrent counts on my bill date, but got no way of counting, everything, on my network, I have 2 desktops, a laptop, an iPad, PS3, Xbox 360, and not that they get a huge amount of use 2 iPod touches as well

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I've got a router (Netgear WNDR3700) with DD WRT installed on it. DD WRT tracks your bandwidth (by day and by month). So, if your router doesn't do this for you by default, perhaps there might be a open-source firmware that you could install on your current router. If not, there are plenty of cheap (less than $100) and fast routers that do support DD WRT/Open WRT/Tomato that you could upgrade to if you want to reliably collect this data.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2010/09/because-everyone-needs-a-router.html

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I got a D-Link gaming router (DGL-4500),
does that do it?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Interesting - they seem to have taken down the information on the overage charges, at least in my area. I don't think Shaw has the systems in place to implement this yet.

1 - 20 of 547 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.