Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a voice plan from Fido and a home phone service through Shaw (the Lite version). I have decided that this is too many phones so I was going to dump the Shaw home phone and the current Fido plan one and instead go with an iphone through Fido (voice and data).
Of course, when I talked to the Shaw people, they didn't want to lose me so they started talking about how they too are coming out with a cellular service "next year".
I was wondering if anyone has more details on Shaw's offerings? I understand they will not have a contract so does that mean they will not subsidize the phones? I don't feel like paying $700+ for a phone!
I basically want to know if I should just go for it with Fido right now on a 3 year plan or wait until Shaw comes out with theirs (and likely by the time they do, the iphone 5 will be out!). Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Shaw has been really quiet on their wireless plans. Supposedly they're coming in 2011. In theory, they're building an AWS HSPA+ network like Wind, Mobilicity, and Videotron. They have spectrum licenses in Western Canada.

Other than that, they haven't really said yet. No official word on whether they'll offer contracts (though if I had to guess I'd bet they would), what the coverage will be like at launch, or when exactly they will launch. Don't expect reliable details on launch plans and devices until much, much closer to launch.

Expect them to have a few high-end smartphones (likely Blackberrys and Androids) but at the moment none of the iPhones would support their network. That might change; there are a lot of rumours of an AWS iPhone, but there have been rumours for years with no results.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what I thought

Thanks for the info. I knew they are coming out with their wireless service but it does not sound like it will be any time soon so I think I will just go with the Fido offer. Better to go with what is available now rather than wait for the "next big thing"! :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Mobilesyrup is simply guessing based on a website tentative date. Not confirmed by Shaw

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't see a reason to wait for Shaw. Before they supported this UBB garbage they were a decent company and I was myself considering switching to them this year when my rogers contract ends, but now there is no differentiation between Shaw and any other company, so they don't get my support by default anymore.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
In a potential blow to Shaw Communications Inc.'s effort to launch its new wireless network this year, Laurence Cooke has left the big communications firm, after joining only last summer to lead the Calgary-based company's wireless operations, a company spokeswoman confirmed.

Looks like there may be problems with the Shaw Wireless implementation. Here's what the original Shaw press release said:
Shaw Communications Inc. is pleased to announce the appointment of Laurence Cooke to the position of Vice-President, Wireless, located in Calgary, Alberta. Mr. Cooke will be responsible for managing the overall operational aspects, leading to the development, implementation and day-to-day running of Shaw's wireless business.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Trouble in terms of the man's family not wanting to relocate to Calgary and terms of a leadership change during the middle of the project. There is nothing to suggest problems in the implementation IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Trouble in terms of the man's family not wanting to relocate to Calgary and terms of a leadership change during the middle of the project. There is nothing to suggest problems in the implementation IMO.
A executive level leadership change at this stage IS a suggestion (not a confirmation) of problems in implementation - delay if nothing else as people below don't make big decisions when management is in flux.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Brad Shaw said in a BNN interview yesterday that Laurence Cooke was "severanced" and that a replacement will be in place shortly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts