Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in subscribing to individual channels or as add-ons to your existing packages, here are the channels currently offered A la Carte by Shaw:

The following channels are all available for $2.95/mo

Sportsnet Ontario (Not available a la Carte in Vancouver)
Sportsnet West (Not available a la Carte in Vancouver)

Action
Animal Planet Canada
Aux
BBC Canada
Biography Channel Canada
Bold
Book Television
Dejaview
Discovery Health
Discovery Science
DIY Network Canada
Documentary
Dusk
ESPN Classic Canada
Fashion Television
Fox Sports World Canada
G4 Canada
GolTV Canada
i Channel
IFC Canada
Movie Time
MTV2 Canada
Mystery TV
NHL Network Canada
Nickelodeon Canada
One
OUTtv
Raptors NBA TV
Salt + Light TV
Showcase Diva
Sundance Channel Canada
The Cave
The Fight Network
Travel + Escape
WFN

BET
Bloomberg Television
EWTN
GSN

BBC World News (Not available a la Carte in Vancouver or Victoria)

OTHER

RDS- $3.95/mo (Only available with Two or more specialty channels option, not on its own)

Fox News- $3.95/mo (Only available with Two or more specialty channels option, not on its own)

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
I think your description of RDS and FOX News is a little misleading. True, they can only be included in two or more packs, but that that doesn't necessarily make them $3.95 each. Here are the rest of Shaw's specialty pricing options:
Any 2 channels for $3.95/month
Any 7 channels for $7.95/month
Any 14 channels for $13.95/month
All In - Get all Specialty Channels for $26.95/month
Salt & Light TV can be added to "All In" for an additional $2.95 per month.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, they can only be included in two or more packs, but that that doesn't necessarily make them $3.95 each
Technically it does, the only way to receive these channels is with the 'take any 2' specialty channels option and the price of this is $3.95. Now of course you are getting another channel as well for that price but since that is the only way to get these channels (without subscribing to a package that includes them), then essentially that is the price of RDS & Fox News a la carte.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
EA2 has always been "free" here in Winnipeg as it is available in tier 3 and also on channel 64 with digital cable, I guess so long as you have tier 3 or classic cable, then you get it, if not I guess you have to pay. EA1 has always been a subscription only channel though.

Also, for the record, BBC World News is not available a la carte in Winnipeg as far as I know as it is also located in tier 3.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Full a la carte?

Is it true that CRTC has mandated that by 2012 all channels (apart from basic cable) can be purchased indivitually?

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
I don't believe that's the mandate. I believe that currently they must have certain channels in basic, certain packages, etc, but that in late 2011 they will be allowed to offer full a-la-carte services, but not mandatory.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Well not mandatory, but the providers want to offer a la carte, it is the broadcasters that don't want this, but now since the broadcasters have been wiped out by the cable companies nothing stands in their way of offering full a la carte, something which Bell already pretty much offers in Quebec.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It'd be nice if you could a la carte the channels from tiers 1-3.

I pretty much watch the HD channels (mostly sports). My wife like Home and Garden / Food Network (and a few others that you can order a la carte). We could save quite a bit if we subscribe to them instead of tiers.

I suppose thats why Shaw doesn't allow it (that or its some crazy CRTC thing).

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Actually it's not really a CRTC thing, it's a broadcaster thing. The broadcasters have always wanted crappy channels bundled with popular channels so they could make money off all of them. I suppose with Shaw and Bell buying out the remaining broadcasters that this may now hopefully change for the better. One things for sure, the bdu's were definitely in favor of more a la carte before, so hopefully they still will be. The other issue is American specialty channels also want to be bundled in certain ways because they hate a la carte down south from what i've heard. Nonetheless next year the CRTC is going to be relaxing some of it's rules which will make a la carte a distinct possibility in a years time. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
I believe the CRTC was involved because they mandated certain channels for the basic cable service. Broadcasters are also involved in the other tiers/packages. So both can be to blame, however, as you say, service providers have always been in favour of a-la-carte. Just don't expect huge savings in a year or so.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I wish Shaw would allow me to alter my TV channel subscriptions online. Right now, you can add (more $$) but gives no allowance to drop channels. For that you have to phone in and sit on hold forever. That and make their whole website a little easier to understand (this more directed to TV packages and offerings--I find it very confusing). Why can't I find out what is happening with SN1 (free, price after preview)? Website gives no information.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I wish Shaw would allow me to alter my TV channel subscriptions online. Right now, you can add (more $$) but gives no allowance to drop channels. For that you have to phone in and sit on hold forever. That and make their whole website a little easier to understand (this more directed to TV packages and offerings--I find it very confusing). Why can't I find out what is happening with SN1 (free, price after preview)? Website gives no information.
Sportsnet 1 question has been answered above but as for calling in and waiting on hold there is another option. Online Chat can be launched right from the same shaw website where you were looking at channels. It usually only takes a couple minutes to go through and you chat live with an agent rather than waiting through the phone queue. While chatting you can add or remove services and everything else you would normally do over the phone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The only channel I'd be interested in a la carte is HBO HD, but we all know how likely that is to happen and there's no way that I'm going to pay for MovieCentral...

It sucks that it's bundled as part of a movie package, when all I want is the TV programming :)

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
The reason it's bundled with Movie Central is because it is Movie Central and was just rebranded to HBO a couple of years back. Surprisingly they didn't or haven't rebranded the rest of Movie Central as HBO or Showtime themed networks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Heh. Yeah, I'm not opposed to the bundle because of the name or who owns it, I just don't want to pay for a "Movie" bundle just to get a few TV shows I'd like to watch. I'd happily pay $7/mo for the TV programming from HBO and Showtime (mostly just Dexter) on an HD channel without any movies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts