Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup, the receiver does have or did have a lot of bugs. A lot were made and are now dead. Piled up in land fills in Canada now. The bugs exactly? I think it's labeled Shaw Disease. If you get one make darn sure you have access to buy at the very least 10 more. Look at the 630 PVR forums if still wondering.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think that's a bit on the extreme side. The units do have issues, though not as many as they did at launch, and I think this is the first time I've heard of the "Shaw Disease". However, if you have more than one reciever, then you will get replacements at the cost of shipping if you do have issues with it. There's no need to "buy at the very least 10 more"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Perhaps a bit extreme. I do believe that after many phone calls, yes many, SD will tell you, we can't get anymore 530's. Would be interested in try our new and improved 630???

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The two 530s I had over two years were very dependable. There was probably an odd reboot every 3-4 months but really I never did miss a recording.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a 530 and never had any problems except it ran hot and you had to make sure the ventilation was good.

Lot of bad feelings about it because SD announced a feature upgrade to the unit (2 channel recording) which never materialized.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 530 got a bad rap because of how things started out with it, and alot of people are stacking those experience's with the fact that the software that the 630 has never showed up on the 530. To answer oldschools original question though, you may want to look at the 630 now that the new software upgrade has been announced to be starting tonight as when the MPEG4 shift takes place the 530 will most likely not be able to get HD programming anymore.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Basic PVR Functions

I had the 530 receiver from the first month it was introduced. After several firmware upgrades it became a basic and stable PVR. It however lacked the horse power that is required to be upgraded to the point where it could offer some of the more advanced features that have become the norm for PVR's such as extended and detailed guide information and series based recordings. If you can get one cheap it will should provide reasonable service, but feature wise don't expect it to compare with current PVR's. Bugs included freeze ups and missed recordings but as I mentioned these became relatively rare after the last major update that the unit had.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I view my 530 as a cheap way to record HD programs. I have dual recording turned off, and a laptop cooling fan operating all the time. I do not ever record more than 90% of the hard drive and had no problems.

I am in PV MX so shipping it for a return is out of the question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts