Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We watched the premier of Shattered, a Vancouver-based police drama shown on the Global network, and were intrigued. The premise (a veteran police detective with a severe mental disorder) is captivating, if bizarre, and the familiar faces of actors from such shows as Intelligence, Robson Arms, Da Vinci's Inquest, and so many other Vancouver-shot shows kept us on our toes trying to pin down where we'd seen them in the past.

Like CTV/CBS's Flashpoint, Shattered does not specifically mention the Canadian city in which it is shot, but makes no attempt to disguise such local features as the SkyTrain, the street signs, and the occasional glimpse of the downtown skyline. Apart from the very opening sequence depicting a night scene of an unidentifiable, bustling metropolis, few if any artificial or green screen tricks are employed to suggest another city or to masquerade the B.C. Lower Mainland and Canada.

As mentioned, the premise is bizarre, and obvious issues of plausibility come up, but there are lots of ways that this could play out. There is plenty of raw material here, and apart from some uneven script flow there is a solid foundation and good potential.

The people behind the camera are veterans of successful series, and the show's production house is E1. NBC/Universal has bought rights to the show: http://www.c21media.net/news/detail.asp?area=1&article=55932

We'll be watching.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Originally, Shattered was scheduled to begin September 15th on Global, but when they figured out Big Brother finale was going to be 2 hours, they decided to bump it to September 1st, same date as the premiere on showcase (it aired at 12pm and 9pm).

Unfortunately, most people are still in the summer thin-schedule hype and nobody expected a network premiere so early. For example, the CW premieres start september 8th, NBC sept 14th, ABC and CBS and FOX sept 20th.

End result, thanks to CanWest's incompetence, the season premiere drew only 428,000 viewers Canada wide.
Reference: http://tvfeedsmyfamily.blogspot.com/2010/09/shattered-fails-to-break.html

If CanWest would have waited this wednesday (sept 8th) maybe it would have been better?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I missed the first episode, but according to Zap2it, the first episode (The Sins of Fathers) will air again on next Wednesday September 15th on both Showcase-HD and Global-HD. A new episode (Harry Has a Wife?) will air this Wednesday (Sept 8th).

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Doesn't Global also sim-sub Survivor...as the 2 hour BB finale is supposed to follow the Premiere of Survivor...and that means all 3 hours of Prime time are used up.

Back on topic...I did enjoy Shattered...hope they keep up the good work.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I watched it last week, and it was as good as I expected. Molly Parker and Callum Keith Rennie are well worth watching. And thank GAWD Global has its priorities straight and are making sure the crappy US "reality" shows are getting full priority over their own home-grown series! What a bunch of wankers.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You are correct InMontreal. I re-checked Zap2it, and the first episode will air again (Sept 15th), but only on Showcase-HD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts