Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharp Electronics announced this week the Canadian availability of the Aquos LC-70LE732U, a 70-inch LCE TV which the company says is the largest LCD television in the market today.

Sporting a screen whose viewing area is twice that of a 46 inch screen, the new Aquos comes in black and features a 1080p panel with the companies Quad pixel technology, LED backlighting and built-in WiFi.

Connectivity options include four HDMI, one component, one composite video, one PC and two RCA audio.

The LC-70LE732U is now available in Canada for $4,000.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It says it has full array led backlighting which is nice, but it does not seem to have a local dimming feature according to the manual, (excerpt from picture settings in the manual)

"Active Contrast
Automatically adjusts the image contrast according to
the scene.
On: Automatically adjusts the image contrast.
Off: No adjustment."

...and Cnet, "Of interest to videophiles is the fact that the 70-inch Sharp will have a full-array LED backlight, which might improve its screen uniformity compared with edge-lit models. Unlike smaller full-array LEDs from companies like Vizio, LG, and Sony, however, the LC-70LE732U lacks local dimming."

It looks to be a full screen dynamic adjustment. This is disappointing considering it is a full array set.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder what kind of sales they will get on a 70" screen? The physical dimensions would be pretty overwhelming except in a really large room.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weighs 110 pounds

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Watched one today and next to a 60 inch it is much larger in appearance but not overwhelming. The price tag is overwhelming. Our sixty inch remains at just under $3000 with Sharp not reducing prices as most other manufacturers are. In either case both units are great machines.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Doesn't Look That Big

I don't know why but when I see this TV being advertised during the hockey games it just doesn't look that big. It looks like any one of a number of flat screens on a wall that are now available. If they didn't tell me it was 70 inches, I'd never guess it. Not sure why but I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way when they watched this ad?

I think too that Sharp missed with this ad in another way. They tell you that the screen is twice the size of a 46 inch set. That should be a setup for some kind of visual comparison with a 46 inch set perhaps a morph from one size to the other but they don't do this. Overall I don't think this ad emphasizes the large screen enough to make people want to buy it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
@reidw, I had the exact same thoughts, that screen in the TV ad did not look like a 70" TV.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Perhaps its because they do not have the "bulk" usually associated with large screens. Compared to our old Toshiba 65 inch rear projection tv with its hugh cabinet and screen enclosure.....a TV that is only a couple of inches thick looks a lot smaller. Rest assured that the big 70 inch screen delivers a big picture.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Perhaps its because they do not have the "bulk" usually associated with large screens. Compared to our old Toshiba 65 inch rear projection tv with its hugh cabinet and screen enclosure.....a TV that is only a couple of inches thick looks a lot smaller. Rest assured that the big 70 inch screen delivers a big picture.
Well...I have a sixty inch Sony SXRD. I realize that my set is a somewhat bulky rear projection model and that might be fooling me about the size of the Sharp but the TV shown in the Sharp commercial just doesn't look big enough. I know how much of the wall behind my Sony is covered by my TV. It already dominates the vision field of anyone who sits in front of it. Adding 10 more diagonal inches to it would make it overwhelming. The Sharp in that ad doesn't even come close. It looks like a mounted 46 - 50 incher to me. It just doesn't cover enough of that wall nor does the size look right in comparison to the people. I'm wondering if maybe Sharp couldn't supply a 70 incher when they made that ad? That might explain it.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Still Not Convinced

@57: Your 50 inch set comes close to what the set in the commercial looks like. The room in the ad is not that big nor is the camera set that far back from the set itself. What makes me sceptical is the height of that supposedly seventy inch TV. MY 60 inch screen is 30 inches tall. That's the screen itself not including the frame/bezel. A 70 incher would be even taller of course; close to the length of a yardstick (36 inches). There's no way the TV in the Sharp ad is that tall. I did see the 70 inch SXRD XBR1 at a Sony Store back in 2006 by the way. Its screen was huge!

However I guess we'll never know the truth unless someone from Sharp or the ad agency decides to join this discussion. In any case a 70 inch set would look awesome in my home. It's what I'd go for when my SXRD finally dies.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I saw a 55" next to a 65" at Sam's Club last weekend.
Both Vizio's.
The 55" looked so much smaller.
I can't imagine the enormity of a 70"er!

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
reidw said:
@57: Your 50 inch set comes close to what the set in the commercial looks like
Ha ha. It's 65" (70% larger than 50"). I had a quick look at the 103" and the 85", but they were a bit out of my league. I also investigated Mits 73" DLP and 75" Laser from the US, as well as FPs before making the final decision to go with the Panny 65" and place it out from the wall 27" to get the same "apparent size" from the viewing position (I previously had a 61" RPTV).

To get back on topic - anyone wanting a large LED could certainly look at the 70" Sharp, however, the ISF guys don't like Sharp much. (I also find the colours "too much" and they're difficult to optimize well.) The price isn't bad for the size.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Not sure what the point of the debate is.......I looked at and saw the tv in Best Buy. If you are near a store go have a look for yourself.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
@57: Your set did fool me.

@lindsay649: I believe you if you tell me that the set is awesomely large. Any 70 inch set is that. My point was that the TV shown in the Sharp ad that has been running on just about every playoff game on TSN doesn't look like a 70 inch TV even though that's what the ad is all about. I was wondering if others who have seen this ad felt that way too (One other person here also did). I guess I would have expected a pitch for such a large TV to try to impress me away with its size by showing a large closeup or a spectacular vista and not a simple image that is a piece of abstract art. For some reason this Sharp ad, not the the TV itself, just doesn't do this. It doesn't make me want to rush out and buy the TV. That's what I was commenting upon.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you're looking for the largest LCD HDTV, Samsung has a 75-inch due to arrive in August, and LG has a 72-inch. There's more info on Engadget posted May 9th.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just picked up this TV last week. I was considering a high end 55" (Sony 929) but after seeing this TV I decided to forgo some of the high end features for 70" of pure joy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts