Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A local mall here in Vancouver has setup a display of Sharp TV's. They had a 65D64U setup and displaying HD content, I couldn't take my eyes off it, WOW!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't buy the 64U, I went to Costco today and saw a skiing movie and it really had bad banding issues. If you did buy the TV try a movie that has white images you should see a horizontal darkening of the screen. I can't believe a company would sell defective tv's and think we won't see it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm receiving the lc52d64u next monday or tuesday, I will post my review next week.

I had a Toshiba 50HM66, the lamp blew last week after 1 years and a half. I don't want this product in my face anymore.

I'm sure I will be stunned by the difference of the picture, mostly with the colors of the 1080p !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome 1080p and hd cable picture ! I am so impressed !

Didn't have any banding issue on this tv. I watched hd hockey and it was just perfect, it was nearly better than beeing live at the game ;)

I had to change settings and after some customization it was looking very nice. Great colors and brightness. I feel like I've made a big deal !

5 stars !

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just picked up a 46 inch 64U at the boxing day sale at A&B Sound in downtown Vancouver. I wasn't even there for a TV but since I've almost pulled the trigger on a few different models recently I couldn't resist. I've always liked the Sharps but like everyone else I have been weary of the banding problem. I helped my boss set up his audio/visual home network with four Sharps and none of them have banding so I knew it obviously wasn't on all the units they sell.

Anyway, I have been the owner of a Sony 51 inch RPTV for four years so I didn't want to go much smaller to get into the LCD/Plasma game and decided that 46 inches was about as small as I'd want to go. Summary; this is a GREAT looking TV and once I hooked up my Xbox HD Drive I am satisfied. I played the Warren Miller Ski trailer that came on my Xbox 360 Elite to look for the banding. If it's there it is ever so slightly discernible if I REALLY look for it but it just isn't jumping out at me. It may be there but it is SO slight that it does not catch the eye unless you are specifically looking for it. The thin bezel on this tv is really nice too which is one thing I liked in the Toshibas that are out now.

Anyway, I'm happy with it so far but of course if a nice Panny PZ700U plasma deal pops up I have no qualms about taking this back:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sony SXRD 60A202 vs Sharp 52D64U

I've been looking to buy my first HD TV for a number of months and just got the buy signal from my wife. I have a friend who has a 55A2020 and I was impressed with both regular and HD movies but SD TV sucked (as is the case with most HD TVs)

I was impressed with both the 52D64U and the 60A2020 at the local Visions store and they had some amazing boxing week prices. I bought the 64U, brought it home, set it up and noticed some banding issues. I was using component video cables so I went out and bought an HDMA cable and the problem seemed to disappear.

But I'm a little gun-shy about keeping this TV what with the reported banding issues by other members and Sharp's refusal to cover banding related repair issues.

With Sony indicating that they're getting out of RPTVs, I'm also a little wary about buying the Sony SXRD 60A2020. SSE issues, bulb life and replacement bulb availability also concern me.

BUT I can get the 60" SXRD for $600 (or 30%) less than the 52D64U and for movie watching and gaming (PC and XBox 360 elite) the 60A2020 looks great.

I'm looking for your honest feedback. I don't have the means to be replacing TVs every 2 or 3 years so this is a long term decision that I'll have to live with.

What are your thoughts about these TVs?? Which one would you pick given the size difference, price difference, LCD vs RPTV, etc?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hmmm, banding is a panel issue has nothing to do with Component or HDMI feed. If the panel has banding it will be there from day one, its not something that will appear at a later time nor is it something that will go away at a later time.
As far as returning the TV it just depends on how much the banding bothers you and how picky you are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Banding issue - NOT

With some input from 57 and some further investigation it turns out that the problem was a ground fault loop on that outlet.

It appears that the ground wire came loose from the retaining screw in the outlet box. I reattached it and the banding (which in this case was horizontal and not vertical) disappeared.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bought the LC42D64U at Future Shop on Boxing Day and have had it for a few days. I love it so far, then again, I had a JVC 27" CRT for the last few years :) Still on SD as Novus ran out of the HD/PVR units.

I was worried about the sound without external speakers, but its just fine for my small living room.

I was joking with friends that watching a movie was so theater-like, I turned off my cell phone!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sharp AQUOS D64U Firmware Update?

How do I know whether I need a firmware update? My Sharp is brand new and the update is from October 07. I know that I can download on a USB, and go through the software update option on my TV.

This is the updated firmware AQUOS D64U Series Version U0709111 Firmware

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My D64U experience so far

Happy to share my experience. I had been considering the 42" D64 along with the 40" Samsung 69 series LCD. I saw both sets side by side at a local dealer (in Markham) on Boxing day and both looked amazing with Chicken Little playing on blu-Ray. The Samsung was definitely brighter with deeper contrast, but the picture looked almost "too 3D" (perhaps the 120hz technology?). Also the Samsung cost $350 more. After some negotiation, I picked up the Sharpe for $1550 (tax incl) and got same day delivery. So far I've seen no noticeable banding issues. The NHL winter classic in HD looked fantastic. I've also been using it as my pc monitor with no issues. My only criticism is that it seems to be somewhat slow when flipping channels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Follow Up

I've been using the TV for a little over 3 months now. Picked up an HD Rogers box (Pace 551) and set it up with an HDMI cable. The picture looks pretty nice. I do notice a jitter when I watch sports broadcasts, particularly the players in a hockey game. I seem to not really notice it much anymore, but a buddy came over to watch a game and it bothered him. I'm pretty happy with it so far though. I've been running it as a PC monitor (and yes the fonts are a bit small), but it is outstanding - almost too bright. I've been playing some Call of Duty 4 on it at 1920 x 1080p resolution with all settings maxed out. WOW :eek:!

Just wondering if anyone knows about the software update that was released on Sharp USA's Website? Any idea of what updates/additions it has?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, so I found a list of fixes for the D64 series on another forum:

Issues addressed with latest firmware (U0709111) from Sharp USA for the LC-XXD64U series of LCD Televisions.

1) Fixed issue where some analog channels are lost when channel search is performed.
2) Fixed issue where SAP might not be detected when the audio reception from the tuner fails.
3) Fixed issue where the component signal might not be detected when a DVD playback signal is present.
4) Optimized the picture parameter to improve picture noise.
5) Corrected the LVDS timing so that the Fine Motion function corresponds to 50 Hz.(For LC-65D64U)

Symptoms which are also corrected:

• While viewing Analog TV, the Analog TV picture will become muted if the HDMI cable is unplugged and plugged it in again.
• While viewing DTV, picture flickering may appear if the picture position is shifted.
• During the fine sync adjustment on PC input, a vertical line may appear at the right side of the screen.
• When a RF signal without a colorburst is input, the color system is not detected correctly.
• When the system software update has finished, the “System software was successfully updated. Remove the USB memory device.” message will be displayed. At that time, if any channel change or AC power off/on is performed, the OK button will be displayed without highlighted.
• When the signal input was set to INPUT6 (HDMI) and Analog sound input is selected in user menu, if the signal input is changed from other another HDMI input to INPUT6, the HDMI digital sound comes out.
• When a DTV channel without EIT (channel information) is selected, a narrow character appears on CC (Closed Caption) for a moment.
• When the 3D-Y/C setting was set to either of Low and High, if the channel is changed during the viewing of Analog TV broadcasting, the 3D-Y/C setting will be returned to Standard.
• Color detection (NTC/PAL-M) takes a time. Or no color appears on PAL-M.
• Screen may flash in green if no Analog TV signal is input for a while.
• When the picture freeze is performed during the viewing of DTV, if the sound mode is changed by the audio button, the picture will be muted after the picture freeze is disabled.
• When a VCR picture is input, the picture may flash.
• While in the brightness adjustment, the picture may flash.
• With a HDMI equipment, which is compatible with CEC, is connected to the set, if the power off/on is done, one of operation keys for AquosLink becomes disabled.
• Picture may become dark for a moment at the time of the first scene when the picture scene is changed.
• The surround setting becomes enabled by pressing the surround button even when the AQUOS AUDIO SP is set.
• Picture color becomes faint on an Analog TV channels below a certain chroma level.

Read the instructions carefully and decide for yourself if this is something you need or want to do.

I make no claims or accept any responsibility if you mess up or kill your TV.

Once you do a "firmware update" there is no going back if you don't like something. It's not a magical fix and won't do anything for "banding" or "stuck or dead pixels".

If it isn't broke, don't rush to fix it. Evaluate your set and see if you would benefit from the update.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried to do this update (from UO708071 to UO709111) and it seemed like it was doing it, but the version remained at 071. It did the checking, showed me my current version and the update, the screen went blank and then live TV came on. No message about successful update.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ok, so I found a list of fixes for the D64 series on another forum:

Issues addressed with latest firmware (U0709111) from Sharp USA for the LC-XXD64U series of LCD Televisions.

1) Fixed issue where some analog channels are lost when channel search is performed.
2) Fixed issue where SAP might not be detected when the audio reception from the tuner fails.
3) Fixed issue where the component signal might not be detected when a DVD playback signal is present.
4) Optimized the picture parameter to improve picture noise.
5) Corrected the LVDS timing so that the Fine Motion function corresponds to 50 Hz.(For LC-65D64U)

·
Registered
142 Posts
OK I am new to TV's that do everything under the sun so be gentle with me..lol I purchased the new Sharp 42" on boxing day. 1) I have noticed with hockey for 1 that I did see a jittery effect, but it was not on the game play but a side camera near the boards after the play. I found it a bit annoying, is this a problem with the set?

2) I have a high def box hooked up and I also have my wifes beloved PVR non high def hooked up on a different input. (I bought it 6 months ago so we are stuck with it for the time being) It all works fine. I do experience one problem though, on switching the inputs from high def to the pvr box sometimes the screen goes nuts and you get a green collage of pixels. If I try to go back to the original input I came from it happens in there too. I found the way to solve it was to turn the set off and wait to hear a click from within the set, then everything is OK to go again.

3) Just how do you hook up a laptop to the TV. What connection do I use to go out of the computer and which to go into the tv. Is it any good for lets say a golf sim game?

Look forward to your help here. Remember be gentle I am getting to old to learn new stuff lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
I called Sharp support. The customer rep told me to try to load the unextracted firmware update file. That did not work and froze the TV. I was able to power down, remove the USB and continue viewing. I then called Sharp support back and they could not figure it out, I have to call Sharp Canada Support and get a tech out here.

Has anyone else had the update not go through from when the screen goes blank? It seems that it can see the updated file, but cannot go through the update process.

Any ideas?

I tried to do this update (from UO708071 to UO709111) and it seemed like it was doing it, but the version remained at 071. It did the checking, showed me my current version and the update, the screen went blank and then live TV came on. No message about successful update.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I found these instructions on the AVS Forum. The key is to Format the USB Drive as FAT and not FAT32

Here are my quick instructions (updated with how to check if the update applied)

1) Formatted my USB drive to FAT not FAT32
2) Extracted the firmware update to a folder on my hard drive.
3) Copied the extracted firmware directly to my USB flash drive (not the folder)
4) Safely removed the USB drive using the safely remove option on windows XP
5) With TV on, placed the USB drive in to tv.
6) Went to the software update menu
7) Followed the instructions and installed the update.
8) To check, change the input to the TV input, Press Menu on the remote, go to digital setup and select identificiation. (Thanks to Dango and JRN23)

·
Registered
286 Posts
How come Sharp didnt show us there 08 line at CES? I see the Samsung line posted here and the Sony at another site but nothing new from Sharp on either forums.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I called Sharp support. The customer rep told me to try to load the unextracted firmware update file. That did not work and froze the TV. I was able to power down, remove the USB and continue viewing. I then called Sharp support back and they could not figure it out, I have to call Sharp Canada Support and get a tech out here.

Has anyone else had the update not go through from when the screen goes blank? It seems that it can see the updated file, but cannot go through the update process.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sorry, haven't been on this in a while. I was going to suggest trying another USB key (they recommend using a generic one that doesn't try to force the host to use its encryption software and crap) or check your formatting (FAT16).

Did it work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK I am new to TV's that do everything under the sun so be gentle with me..lol I purchased the new Sharp 42" on boxing day. 1) I have noticed with hockey for 1 that I did see a jittery effect, but it was not on the game play but a side camera near the boards after the play. I found it a bit annoying, is this a problem with the set?

2) I have a high def box hooked up and I also have my wifes beloved PVR non high def hooked up on a different input. (I bought it 6 months ago so we are stuck with it for the time being) It all works fine. I do experience one problem though, on switching the inputs from high def to the pvr box sometimes the screen goes nuts and you get a green collage of pixels. If I try to go back to the original input I came from it happens in there too. I found the way to solve it was to turn the set off and wait to hear a click from within the set, then everything is OK to go again.

3) Just how do you hook up a laptop to the TV. What connection do I use to go out of the computer and which to go into the tv. Is it any good for lets say a golf sim game?

Look forward to your help here. Remember be gentle I am getting to old to learn new stuff lol
Hey Gabagoo,

Resonses to your questions:

1) What HD box do you have? Do you only notice the jitter on the hockey with the handheld in the corner? I don't get this all the time myself. Some shows are prefect and using my PC to game is perfect. I have a Pace 551 receiver using the HDMI out.

2) Not sure about the green flash. Usually a green flash with a digital signal means it's lost the signal (i.e. the TV isn't seeing the signal). Try power cycling the PVR (turn it off, then back on).

3) There are several ways to hook your laptop up the the TV:
a) if the laptop has a VGA out (a 15-pin connector, usually blue colour, female sex) use that into the VGA input on the TV (I think it's marked PC/Input 7).
b) Use an S-Video cable (it's round with 2 sets of 2 pins and a keyway on the bottom middle) and plug that into one of the inputs on the back (can't remember which input number it is).
Either way, you need to enable "Clone" mode on your monitor (right-click on your desktop -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Click on 2nd display -> check "extend monitor") You'll then need to click on the "Properties" tab and enable the "Clone" mode in the video card driver. Consult the manufacturer of the laptop for help on that.

One thing about the laptop - most have mediocre video cards, so you won't be able to play games at full 1920x1080 resolution. You may only get 1024x768 out of it. It will still look pretty good. The golf sim will be great because of the size. Play around and enjoy.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts