Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mothers Sharp Aquos HDTV is stuck in Stretch mode. I've switched the cable box from input to input and it still doesn't solve the problem. I go into 'View Mode' and the only option I have is Stretch, I am not given the option to change it. Is this a common problem? Is there any way to change it? Thank you for your help.

Oh, and unforturnately I do not know the model number. Maybe someone can tell me where to find it if it is neccesary. I am not too savvy with TVs.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
The manual is a good place to start for the model number. There should also be a sticker somewhere on the set that lists the model. Have you called Sharp support?

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
Some HDTVs are "forced" into a certain mode when they are fed certain (usually HD) signals like 720P or 1080i. See the following FAQ on Stretch Modes.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074

There is usually a "recall/info/similar" button on the TV remote to indicate the signal it's receiving. Try unplugging the TV for a while to see if a reset changes anything. Even though the TV says "stretch" the aspect may be appropriate if the TV is being fed HD signals. Do you see the logo appropriately on the HD channels and are the people appropriately not too fat or too thin. Also, please advise us of the make/model of the cable STB (set top box).

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
18 Posts
57's reply is correct if a HD signal (eg. OTA 720P or 1080i) is being fed into a Sharp Aquos HDTV (at least those with functions similiar to my 37" 2006 model) & it will be in Stretch mode with no option to change it.

The various Stretch modes are available if you are watching analog Cable TV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It could also be that the cable box setting for TV type is set to 4:3. I have a Cogeco cable box that randomly resets to its default settings. It's quite annoying.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For the original poster.

If an HD Motorola box:

With the TV input ready to play the signal, box should be powered off.

- Hit the "menu" button on the front panel of the box quickly. Wait for a white screen.

- just below the resolution output, using the up/down/left/right arrows on the front of the box, get the box out of STRETCH mode. Put it to OFF/480i/480p...whatever you'd like. 480i ensures the SD signals don't get output as 1080i from the box (desirable since the box has a crappy scaler).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts