Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Announced at CEDIA (edited for brevity from press release)

The new widescreen series of Full HD1080p HDTV AQUOS Liquid Crystal Televisions, available in 52-, 46- and 42-inch Classes (52 1/32", 45 63/64" and 42 1/64" diagonal respectively).

The D85U series features Fine Motion Enhanced technology for 120 Hz Frame Rate Conversion, fast pixel response time of 4 ms, wide viewing angles of 176 degrees, Sharp's proprietary 10 bit Advanced Super View panel with Spectral Contrast Engine UD (Ultra Dark).

Additionally, all units in this series include five HDMI inputs and two HD component terminals. These redesigned models feature a piano black cabinet with a titanium outer frame, along with subtle recessed, bottom-mounted speakers and include a detachable table stand.

The D85U series is Energy Star qualified and also offers a new energy-saving function. A "Power Saving Mode" is available through the unit's on-screen display menu, which enables active contrast and active backlight to reduce the energy of the television while in use.

The LC-52D85U and LC-46D85U will be available in October for US $2,599.99 and $2,199.99 respectively; the LC-42D85U will be available in November for US $1,899.99.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on D85 series in Canada:

• LC-52D85U will be available at the end of September for $2,499.99
  • LC-46D85U will be available at the end of September for $2,099.99
  • LC-42D85U will be available at in October for $1,699.99

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well Sharp always has been a less costly alternative like Samsung is to Sony.

If they got rid of the banding issue completely, I'm sure the TV will be a good value.

I still like Samsung's cabinet designs most, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the LC-46D82U model up until last week, when my son threw a heavy marker in its direction and it ended up cracking the LCD panel. The D82 model was excellent. What's new in the D85 model? I'm in the market for a replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are there any reviews that you based your purchase off of...I'm having a hard time finding anything.

Did you consider either the LC SE94 or the LC D64U?
The main "review" consideration for me was my previous experience with the 82U. It looked really good to me watching it in my living room.

I did consider the SE94 and the 64U. The former seemed only to add an internet link to Sharp, for a lot more dollars. The latter didn't have the 120Hz refresh, which is what sold me on the 82U in the first place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have no issues with viewing angle. Seems pretty good to me from most reasonable angles. As far as blacks, I've never put it side by side against a plasma to really compare, but again, it looks pretty good to me at home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi yall, :)

I am seriously looking into a Sharp Aquos by next month.

I am looking at these following choices:

LC52D85U --- LC46D85U --- LC42D85U --- LC52D65U --- LC46D65U--- LC42D65U ---

Is the price difference worth it between the 65U and 85U? I will be doing classic illico digital TV, HDTV, PS3 gaming and movie watching: the usual :)

The tv will be on the corner of the living room at an angle facing the couch at about 8feet from the couch

any opinions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the 85 has the 120hz chip...the 65 does not...just came back from Audio video 2001 and was looking at both models. Read some reviews about the 85's and I've read some reviews that people find the 120hz strobby and they turn the effect down or off....could be wrong though..read so many reviews lately they're all starting to blend together. ; )

Also found another review that said the blacks weren't the best of the LCDclass...but the vivid natural color more then made up for it. I'll look for the link on Monday when I'm back at work. I've got it booked marked there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts