Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a Rogers wireless customer since they were called Rogers AT&T wireless (for almost 15 years). I have been on a shared plan with my wife since 2010.

My contract is nearly up. We were under an old shared plan with no data (I used wifi) that gave us 2000 shared weekday minutes and unlimited evening/weekend minutes with unlimited messaging. It was 45 bucks a month + 20 bucks for each additional basic phone line. This was a savings of I think 5 or 10 dollars a month on the additional lines with the pricing structure that was in place at the time.

My wife is on a basic phone but wants a smartphone. I am content to use wifi for my data, but due to my wife's work, we may have to add data to our plan as she will not always be in a wifi zone and still need access to data.

The current pricing structure seems stupid though, because you don't save any money on each additional line (you pay the same 30/45/55 dollars depending on the kind of phone). Worse, you cannot share on any plans that do not have unlimited Canada-wide minutes (we don't even come close to using the 2000 weekday minutes in our current plan anyways). How is this any value? How is it any different from each person having a separate account except for the fact we're all on one bill.

The only 'value' now seems to be that voicemail is a cheap add-on compared to what it was.

Has anyone been able to negotiate a better deal on the share plans though threatening to go to another carrier?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You do save on the additional lines. Its the same concept as the old family plans but more expensive.

You may be able to negotiate a $5-10 credit

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Check out Fido if available. It is the Rogers network and might cost you less. Fido has less phones but better individual plans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts