Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard def receiver (4100) setup at home and when installed, Bell used the 2 lnb set up. One lnb for 91 and the other for 82. At the cottage I found a Bell dish and had it installed by a local sat guy and it has a single lnb set up. When I take my receiver to the cottage and set it up...I am missing quite a few channels that I normally get. Is this because of the missing lnb? If so, I see a lot of Bell dishes with the single lnb set up locally and there must be a way to change a setting on the receiver to use a single lnb. Any thoughts??

P.S. The cottage is only 2 hours north of Toronto and should not affect the signal strength that much.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The second LNBF (sat 82) is mostly used for HD programming (that you are not getting since your receiver is a SD) and internationnal programmming. There are a few other channels as well.

What channels are you missing?

It could be what agent call red guide issue. If you call Bell and tell them your receiver is at the cottage they will disconnect all your other receivers that are home (if there is). You can also "hit" your receiver on Bell's web site at www.bell.ca

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am missing some pretty basic channels like TSN and some of the local CBC ones. BBC Canada is another one...

I have never called Bell directly with any issues, so they shouldn't have a clue as to the receivers location.

What does 'hit' mean??

My signal strength is above 75 continuous, so I should in theory get all my channels that I get at home.

I have another LNB laying around, would it be useful to set my dish up north the same as my home dish?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
When you go into the Point Dish Screen, MENU 6,1,1, run through the transponders, see if you are just missing Odd or Evens, if you are, check the line for a splitter.

Try running a Check Switch, it will tell you if there is a problem.

Also when moving from a 2 LNBF to a 1 LNBF setup you should do this anyway. try to get another LNBF, that way it should be simpler to just move receivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I ran a check switch, it said no switch detected. With a one LNBF set up, there wouldn't be a need for a switch as it's job is to switch between LNBF's...right?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That is correct but it should have highlighted any issues with Odd or Even transponders.

Why not just try the other output of the LNBF.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, I am heading up there tonight and I will try hooking up to the other LNBF. Then do a check switch and see what happens.

With one LNBF, should I be getting all transponders showing up? Odd and Even?

·
Registered
156 Posts
When you say missing, are they in the guide but getting signal errors when you tune to them, or are they not in the guide at all?

This may sound like a stupid question, but is your single LNB aimed at 91 or 82? If it's aimed at 82, then you wouldn't see any of the SD channels you mentionned in the guide.

Go to the dish align and check the satellite name. If it's 82, then you need to jump on that ladder or call the guy who installed it! If not, then follow the other advice from this thread.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
With one LNBF, should I be getting all transponders showing up? Odd and Even?
Yes you should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am definitely pointing at 91. The channels show up in the guide but when selected it says sat unavailable (or something of that nature..)

Packing for the cottage and I am taking new cable with good connections and an extra LNBF (that was working just fine). Hopefully it's either just a bad LNB or some bad connections/cable. At the cottage it sees pretty bad conditions all winter...so it may be just bad wiring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts