Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I subscribe to Setanta for the English premier league football. The picture qualoty os awful. The UK has all their soccer games broadcast in HD, will Setanta ever broadcast these in HD? I had a look on their website and this is what it said - what a load of rubbish!

When will you be in HD?

Very little of the product we show is in HD because European pictures are better than SD, and they are not moving as fast into it. For example, only one Barclays Premier League game a week is offered in HD and the access and cost of bringing it in would mean we would need to charge $50 per person to make this option work. We know no one would pay that amount, and the third parties, will not give us the bandwidth necessary to do it. We're looking into offering a SVOD HD product 2010-2011 when more of the product we offer is available.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
August, I believe.
Where did you read this? Is it inside information, because I certainly haven't heard anything about Setanta Canada going HD.

As far as the Premier League goes, only games on Sky Sport and ESPN in the UK have been in HD in the past, this means the (all times ET) Saturday 7:45 (which will be on TSN2), Saturday noon, Sunday 8:30am, Sunday 11:00am, Monday 3:00pm (which will be on TSN2) and Wednesday 3:00pm games. I'm thinking that Setanta will only have 3 games that are produced in HD this season, as Sportsnet will have the Sunday 11am game likely. I've heard this might change this year.

Of course this is no excuse for not launching an HD channel, as FA Cup, Carling Cup, Ligue 1 and some rugby are all available in HD.

When Setanta launched, what they said was probably true. They just haven't updated it since.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
They sent out an announcement to distributors at the end of May. They are expecting to have an HD feed available August 1. The first EPL match is expected to be broadcast in HD on August 14th.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It would be absolutely fantastic if they did having something coming down the pipeline in time for August. In fact, I would pay double just to get the HD feed from them.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
This almost makes me interested in Setanta...

Now Gol TV has to launch in HD this year, or they will fall behind their main competitor.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
NB Josh, read the other post about gol tv hd, i posted an update stating they DID confirm theyre going HD but have not given a date yet

·
Registered
379 Posts
I doubt it, Fox Soccer has already gone HD so its not like they would be taking on the extra cost of the satellite space themselves. I also doubt that many people would pay more than the $15/month and if they did launch a HD channel and try to charge more they would most likely lose more subscribers than gain.

·
Registered
211 Posts
They were advertising it at the Man Utd / Celtic FC game last night at the Rogers Centre. There was also mention of a free preview week, starting August 13th I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I'm not sure either then Rogers who carring the SD version, but I honestly can't see them charging extra for the HD version. What they might do is increase the cost of Senta package by a $1 or 2, but I can see them making some pay way more then that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Asked SHAW if they have plans to carry Setanta HD, but just recieved the typical 'sausage letter' response of "Currently at this point in time, Shaw does not have any plans to carry the Setanta HD channel. However, we are always reviewing our HD programs available to customers and adding new HD choices. So possibly in the near future we will carry this channel."

Hopefully the response will be different in the next 2 weeks?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
usually in the case of HD, they are simulcast of the SD broadcasts, so the BDU's may very well get them without any extra cost if they are getting the SD anyway, OR, some BDU get the HD feed and downconvert them to an SD channel?

·
Banned
844 Posts
One thing to note here,

Only 10% of the programming on Setanta will be in HD, that is all Rogers requested in the license application for this channel. In light of that, Setanta HD should be included with your subscription to Setanta Sports SD.

The Commission also approves Rogers' request to offer 10% of its programming in HD format
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2007/db2007-384.htm

1 - 20 of 63 Posts