Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else noticed that it is pretty poor quality feed, pixelates quite a bit too? Or is it just me?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No is not just you. I was watching a Premiership game earlier and could not believe how bad it was. It looked like they upscaled the SD feed into HD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there anything we can do? have rogers done this thing before and been known to improve the quality of the feed?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ya, the PQ is crappy on this channel. I think it appears to be more of a "Source" issue with the program and not with the broadcaster. It certainly did look upscaled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely a Setanta problem with their feeds. If you watch some of the pre-recorded promos that air between matches, they look fine. It's just the live matches (and the match repeats) that look awful.

Looks like the feed they get from the UK just isn't up to par. Complain to Setanta directly...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just been down to the bell store to check the pic quality on fibe tv - that was just as bad if not worse so definitely setanta. I used to live in the UK and the original hd feeds were top quality so it feels its something setanta are doing!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
submitted the following on the setanta website, I urge you all to do the same:-

I subscribe to Setanta HD via Rogers. The HD feed is pretty poor quality - it pixelates alot and pixelates on close shots. I went to the Bell store to check the quality and it was just as bad. The Liverpool game was a little better than yesterdays broadcasts but still wasnt as good as the HD feeds in the UK (Im originally from the Uk and watched the football on Sky SPorts HD) I have checked with other Rogers subscribers and they have confirmed the same problem, i even went to the Bell store to check their feed and it was just as bad.

Will let you know if i have any response

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm from Kitchener, Ontario. The other day I selected Setanta (Right beside GolTV I believe) and it game me the option to order it, so I did for $14.99 a month. Is this Setanta HD, or is it on a different channel? I've only had it for a couple of days, but so far every game I've seen has definitely been poor SD... maybe its just been the games I've watched so far and the source?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am from Cambridge and with Bell. For us Setanta SD is next to Gol tv whereas Setanta HD (#1414) is amongst HD channels. I agree with many that their HD feed is not as good as it could be but it is light years ahead of SD on a widescreen TV and easily watchable. Better also than widescreen which is much better than 4:3.

·
Registered
455 Posts
New current matches should be HD. Older matches were recorded in widescreen SD so they look soft even on the HD channel. I expect the quality to improve in the coming weeks as they air more current HD material and use less and less of the archived SD stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately, as posted earlier it doesn't have anything to do with Rogers or Bell (well, except for the part of Rogers that owns Setanta =)... )

If you watch any of the pre-recorded promos that Setanta airs in HD, they look as good as any other HD channel, it's just all of the live content (or content that was live and re-aired) comes off a feed from the UK that looks ridiculous. Between an overly compressed feed, problems with framerate conversion and sourcing from non-HD material, it looks so much worse than any other HD football provider.

To make matters worse, much of their new live "HD" content (including all of their Champions League matches) was not in HD to begin with as it's being sourced from Setanta Ireland which is widescreen, but is not available even in Ireland in HD. The Premier League stuff comes from Premier League Productions directly and is from HD but still gets absolutely mangled by Setanta.

I've looked all over the Setanta site and e-mailed and or filled out contact forms to no avail. Never even had a response.

If you're just looking to watch the EPL, I'd suggest the streaming package from sportsnet.ca which connected to an HDTV set looks better than Setanta.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts