Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I will try to keep this short...well not really.

Currently I use Playstation Media Server to stream MKV files along with various avi etc files to my ps3 from a MBP C2D with 2GB of Ram. It will not do 1080p which is not a huge deal since my Pioneer 5080HD is 768p anyways. I have acquired 2 new pieces in my system today. A new iMac C2D 3.06 with 4gb Ram and an Acer Easystore H340 with Windows Home Server (Atom processor with 2 GB of Ram). I am finally retiring my G5 iMac so that will be given away. My problem is I am not sure how I can utilitze all of this gear in the best manner. The new iMac has 500gb drive and the Easystore has a 1TB SATA drive. I am ripping BD's and DVD's sometimes and I want to have my Photos from iPhoto available on my PS3. Music is not a concern but would be nice.

My iMac is my main machine that is used by my wife and I for everyday tasks along with the iPad. I was just going to keep things simple and use the iMac for ripping and then keep the data on the MBP which the PMS resides on and forget about the Easystore. Is there a way to use all of these devices in a "best utilized" way? The Easystore has 3 other bays for drives and I feel I will be reaching above 1TB soon (1-2 months). I know about the add in for WHS for PMS but I am unsure who that really works as the Atom processor will chug on 720p MKV I would think.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is what I would do.

Store all of the media on your Easystore.

Point iTunes to it for your media, do not store the media on your computer (iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>uncheck copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library).

Then I would get Medialink from Nullriver ($20) and stream all of your content from iTunes to your PS3.

I have a similar setup with an XBOX 360 and a NAS via AEBS. Nullriver make Connect360 and it works very, very well. It will stream iPhoto, all my music and all of my TV Shows and Video to the XBOX.

The only downside to this is your computer must be on in order to make the connection from the server to the PS3.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I stream 1080p using PS3 media server, no problem but my laptop gets super hot, just needs an extra fan to keep it cool,
Computer is on wireless N, and PS3 is wired at 1000mbps,

for audio I use an airport express, its great, can download an app to ipad/iphone/touch and control itunes on your computer and play through your main system, all wirelessly
at parties I turn on all 3 zones to my airport, walk around with my ipod touch in my pocket and have full control including overall house volume
the audio quality is far superior then plugging my laptop or ipod directly into the receiver

1 - 4 of 4 Posts