Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I understand that The Score has won the rights to this season and they will be showing 2,3 or 4 games per week all in HD...does anyone have the details? I believe Serie A will have friday games this season as well as the normal 2 games on saturday and the rest on sunday.

I assume RAI will keep broadcasting the games in italian...will TLN sublicense the games? they havent mentioned it on their network, I believe they have exclusive rights to the Europa League this season, but thats it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
- The Score has not announced how many games it will broadcast.
- The Score only retained 1 EPL match per round during their 3 years of EPL rights ownership and sublicensed all other games out. This has led to speculation that "some" Serie A games will be sublicensed out.
- While TLN would be a logical choice as far as sublicensing, one could ask why would The Score sublicense to a channel which was its main bidding competitor? FSWC is also a logical choice. Right now its wait-and-see.
- Friday games for Serie A will be occasional so that teams playing in the Champions League on Tuesday of the following week get an additional days rest.
- The only change in schedule for Serie A this season compared to last is the addition of a 12:30pm local time kickoff match on Sundays. Its been speculated that this was to designed to please the far east market and should feature the top teams.
- TLN is launching a new channel called EuroWorldSport which will feature Europa League and French Ligue 1 (so far).
- RAI will continue with its regular coverage of Serie A in Italian (4 matches per round).

Hawk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
James Sharman of The Footy Show has confirmed that The Score will air "two or maybe three" games per week. The Score still hasn't announced details, but I'd expect them soon. I'm thinking that TLN will get some games from The Score.

I think The Score will air a doubleheader on Sunday morning, as well as one other game. But it really could go any way.

·
Registered
689 Posts
According to the Football (Soccer) on Canadian TV website - http://footballtvcanada.blogspot.com/ - there will be three live matches on The Score over the first weekend of the Serie A season. Two on Saturday (Aug 29) and one on the following Monday, while RAI will have one match on Sunday. No mention of TLN as of yet but with seven total matches played on the first Sunday, most at 2.45pm EST, perhaps an announcement is still to come.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
TLN's website talks about them airing the Europa games on TLN, but has no mention of Serie A, so it doesn't look like they'll be covering it this year--although maybe The Score will sublet some games to them.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The door is still open for Serie A matches on The Score on Sunday 8/30. Those games listed were confirmed by James Sharman via Twitter, and he said they were still finalizing the rest of their Serie A schedule. That leaves the door open for more matches week 1. Eventually it looks like The Score will show one match Saturday (probably the 2:45 ET) and 2 on Sunday.

·
Registered
689 Posts
According to the footballtv blog Serie A matches today are on EuroWorld Sports and Fox Sports World Canada (I thought they were closing down?). With The Score and TLN also having matches this is as bad as the EPL with matches strewn all about the place. It's especially bad for those of us who have no way to get EuroWorld Sports.

Correction: The EuroWorld match - Sampdoria v Lazio - is also on TLN. This is confusing.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yea TLN will also have the Lazio-Sampdoria match. I have no clue why its on Euroworld Sports. The Score is keeping 3 games a week for themselves and sublicensing 3-4 others to TLN and Fox Sports World, so no live matches will air exclusively on Euroworld. I already get TLN and The Score, so neither of those is a big deal. I'm not sure if FSWC is worth it, I'll wait to see what games they have in September. This weekend they have the best matchup though, Bari-Juventus.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
yeah I think TLN still is showing what ever is on EuroWorld Sports.

Fox sports is losing Serie A in the next few weeks? yeah its confusing.

Im watching Bari - Juventus on a stream right now...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
yeah thats why I was sort of asking. I thought it was all on Score and TLN this year and maybe FSWC had some carry over rights until the end of August. FSWC is in the package I will add soon so I should be good.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
No FSWC has rights for the season, I just don't know what timeslots they will get yet. If there are some good timeslots involved in their coverage, I'll start subscribing again.

Also it appears that TLN has Italian-language coverage and Euroworld Sports has English-language coverage, which explains why both have Sampdoria-Lazio this afternoon. I guess this means I will need FSWC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Words cannot describe how disappointed I am at The Score's Serie A schedule which is now official: ONLY 1 live match per weekend; one same-day delay; and one next-day delay. I know things may change after gridiron football but how disappointing to see a major broadcaster outbid the competition for the rights and show only 1 match live. Not fair to us fans, IMHO.

Below is the schedule thru Oct. 3rd. In a nutshell, Saturday 2:45pm ET match delayed to 5pm ET.....Saturday noon match delayed next day to 11am ET......One Sunday 9am match live. We should know early next week exactly what matches go to TLN, EWS and FSWC.

Saturday September 11th

Cagliari vs Roma @ 5PM

Sunday September 12th

Juventus vs Sampdoria @ 9AM
Inter Milan vs Udinese @ 11AM

Saturday September 18th

AC Milan vs Catania @ 5PM

Sunday September 19th

Palermo vs Inter Milan @ 9AM
Fiorentina vs Lazio @ 11AM

Saturday September 25th

Roma vs Inter Milan @ 5PM

Sunday September 26th

Fiorentina vs Parma @ 9AM
AC Milan vs Genoa @ 11AM

Saturday October 2nd

Parma vs AC Milan @ 5PM

Sunday October 3rd

Napoli vs Roma @ 9AM
Udinese vs Cesena @ 11AM

hawk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Fox Sports World has the Sunday 6:30am and TLN has the Sunday 2:45pm games. The TLN games may be on Euroworld Sports too. Fox Sports World will have weekday matches too.

The Score has a pre-existing deal with the OUA (Ontario University Athletics) to carry one live university football game Saturdays at 1:00pm ET through mid-November. After that The Score will have a live doublehader on Saturdays and a live game on Sunday morning at 9:00am.

·
Registered
689 Posts
it appears that TLN has Italian-language coverage and Euroworld Sports has English-language coverage, which explains why both have Sampdoria-Lazio this afternoon. I guess this means I will need FSWC.
I put TLN on for a couple of minutes on Sunday (SD, not HD) during the match and the picture was really weird. Everything was out of shape. There's no way I could ever sit through an entire match like that.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
On TLN or Euroworld? TLN looked fine (albeit horrible quality) to me.

FWIW here is how Serie A games will break down this season
Saturday 12pm: The Score (will air Sunday at 11am until December)
Saturday 2:45pm: The Score (will air at 5pm until December)
Sunday 6:30am: Fox Sports World
Sunday 9:00am: The Score (could be a match on FSWC too)
Sunday 2:45pm: TLN & Euroworld Sports (both English-language coverage)
weekday matches: Fox Sports World & Euroworld Sports (most likely, not confirmed)

·
Registered
689 Posts
It was TLN. Shaw Direct still hasn't got EuroWorld.

Saturday 12pm: The Score (will air Sunday at 11am until December)
Saturday 2:45pm: The Score (will air at 5pm until December)
I don't mind the 2.45 match moving to 5pm as it won't conflict quite as much with Spanish football, which I give priority to. But the Noon match not being shown until the next day is pretty bad. I understand they have previous commitments but it's no good for me. Even if the commentator in the 2.45 match doesn't mention the result I'm still bound to hear about it or see it on a bottom line ticker between Saturday afternoon and 11am on Sunday. Therefore I'm unlikely to ever watch the Sunday broadcast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts