Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Late in the first month of my purchase i noticed dust or powder under the glass. Near the volume buttons. I had found others online had this issue. The bad part is i bought it at Futureshop. The sales staff claimed they could not see the problem and said this would be a Telus issue anyway go see telus. I went into telus who at first was trying to swap for a new phone but got hung up with a sales receipt number from my future shop receipt. End story they then told me it was a Futureshop purchase and theirs to cover..

Well i crossed the first month of swap entitlement and got the run around from 611,Telus and Futureshop. Basically i was not getting a new phone swap..

At that point i could send it away for 3-6weeks for warranty repair and everyone says HTC may or may not do anything about it.. Leary of the long wait i put off the repair.

Yesterday i decided it was bugging me to much and i have 2.5years left on this contract so i sucked it up and sent it in for repair through Telus... The good news? They have smartphone lowners! I had the choice of a Hero 1.6 or the Milestone 2.1.. I went for the keyboard for some fun...

Anyway ill report back on how fast the warranty return is and if they fix the problem. wish me luck

Example of dust(not my phone)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Good choice on the milestone for the loaner. I love mine other than the tardy 2.2 update. Now what you should do is download the universal androot app (not on the market, you will have to google it), which is a soft root so you don't need to flash the memory, and then download milestone overclock (on the market) and bump it up to 1ghz from its stock 550mhz. Makes the phone WAY more snappy. Just make sure you uninstall these before you give it back as they might not be to happy about it :).

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe, thanks ill look into that...

I got 2 beefs with the phone. The power button is on the top right, my desire was on the top left.. I hold it in my my right hand and find it a PITA to power on and off. The other thing is the slide out keyboard.. I think i can type faster with the touch screen! LOL

·
Registered
382 Posts
I hope all Desires are not like this (I doubt it), the HTC Desire HD is a real nice phone, but too bad it came out in Asia in October 2010, a few months after the iPhone 4 came out. By the time the HD comes to Canada, a few months later the iPhone 5G will be out (summer 2011 like it always does). You kinda have to wonder why the other manufactures have to play follow the leader or catch-up to the iPhone. :confused:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my issue is extremely rare. But with that said, i would advise all new phone buyers to have a very very close look at the glass, inside the store and outside with the power on and off.... The excitement of a new phone caused me to not look or pay attention. And then i dragged my feet to get something done about it in the first month. They will swap for new at the drop of a hat in the first month... I dont think ill ever get a phone from FS again they are not Telus in a FS store, they are more like Telus franchises with totally different rules. That or the store employees motivation to help is much lower as they are busy chasing buying customers.

As for catching up, i think the iphone has some catching up to do :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Unless the Iphone 5 (which will be more like a 4g I'm thinking) has a dual core 1ghz+ processor, it will be behind the curve.

...The other thing is the slide out keyboard.. I think i can type faster with the touch screen! LOL
I found that as well. It is way faster to touch the letters on the screen than to press on the keyboard. I'm pretty sure my next phone will not have a slide out as I never use it.

The other thing you will not like is that without the 2.2 update, you will not be able to transfer apps to your sd card, thus you will run out of internal phone memory (only 256mb, which was smallish even when it released in nov. '09, on the milestone with some uninstallable moto/google glut) fairly quick if you throw on a few bigger games like angry birds, angry birds seasons, mini squadron, and anything of that like on it. I have 11 dl'd games, 15 dl'd apps and I only have about 23 mb of internal space left!!! There is a rooted milestone 2.1 apps2sd work around, but you have to partition your sd card on your computer with a card reader, which I don't have but might purchase just for that reason.

Great phone, but seriously needs the 2.2 update for better memory solutions.

If you you do decide to soft root and overclock your loaner, make sure you erase all tracks off the phone and sd card because overclocking does void warranty. I have mine set at 1000mhz with a 58 vsel (battery voltage essentially). Stock is 550mhz with a 56 vsel. So you get almost twice the processing performance with almost no battery voltage output increase which means battery life is virtually the same even though it runs WAY faster!!! I thought this was pretty cool. It can be taken up to 1200mhz, but your vsel has to be high, mid 70's for it not to crash on you, and it will suck the battery dry fairly quick. I have gotten it to 1250mhz, but DO NOT GO ANY HIGHER!!! It will crash instantly!!! And if you are worried about it crashing at all with the overclock, there is an option to not have the overclock load when you re-boot the phone, which saved me when I was fooling around with the speeds.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Several off-topic posts deleted as there are other threads discussing the Desire HD and other upcoming smartphones.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
16 days later i just got a call that my phone is back for pickup! No word on what has or has not been done. So I'll report back when i have it in my hands..

That said the milestone was ok to use, but its slower processor has been very obvious to me over the last 2 weeks. And the keyboard kept hidden away, i tried but just found my man hands could not get used to it. :) Cant wait to get ahold of my DESIRE again! :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:(

Just picked it up today. Dust is gone. screen looks great... BUT!
-the phone speaker is dead.(no ringtone,no music,no youtube,no video player volume is set to max)
-lcd light glows a bit bright at the top left corner, not a deal breaker but its gotta go back again soo.........

I am not positive they repaired or sent back a refurb unit. i forgot to mark the phone before sending it in... Kinda bumped out..

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Probably a refurb. I'm telling ya, if you get a milestone back for a loaner again you have to overclock it to 1ghz (dl universal androot from the web and milestone overclock from the app store). Makes it A LOT better to use.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i only looked into overclock this week.. i see ill have to root it for sure... if given the choice ill probably grab the hero...

When i called 611 i asked if i got the same phone back and the confirmed i had based on its id number.. it is the same phone she says... kinda sux... crossing fingers it does not take too long..

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So its gone back in. Rockin the Hero 2.1............. Familiar at least.... The lady wrote in notes cx wants repaired or replaced :) hoping for the latter.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Desire is back. Looking good and the sound works again.... Im happy again.. Telus turn around was fast. To fix the sound or speaker the warranty paperwork said reflashed.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sent it back yesterday, dust is back or was never gone.. 3rd trip in, hoping for a replacement... Got a desire for a loaner this time..

Girl at telus said she devinatly could see the dust and it would drive her nuts.. so im not crazy :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts