Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is a dead horse beaten. I checked the FAQ's and wasn't sure what the actual search term should be.

Some of the new LCD's and LED backlit or sidelit do a horrible job of displaying TV shows and movies, causing certain content to look like it was shot with a camcorder. Anyone know what I mean and have insight into which LCD, LCD/LED backlit) minimizes this effect? I've heard Plasmas tend to be less problematic, but my viewing room is quite bright and reflection could be an issue.

For sporting events, the Samsung 55" sidelit looks stunning, but not so much for TV shows/movies. Please advise.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
For the Samsungs, all you have to do is turn off the Auto Motion Plus and it gets rid of the "camcorder effect."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that was too easy. :) Does turning off Automotion plus cause any unwanted side effects? Or better put, what is Automotion plus and what is it for?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's a frame interpolation that creates a smoothing of motion which in turn decreases the judder of programs that are shot in less than 60 frames per second/hz, ie. most films which are shot in 24 fps/hz. What it does is insert estimated frames in between two real frames in order to create a smoother looking picture. Very apparent on 24 fps films, less so on 60 material such as sporting events and some tv programs that use 60 fps/hz such as...soap operas.

When you turn it off, you do not get this extra smoothing element. My led lcd for example is a 120hz set but I keep it off because I like the original way material is represented. So when it is off, what my set will do with a 24 fps movie is show the original frame 5 times in order to keep the 120hz refresh rate, but also keeps the original 24 fps material in tact by not inserting estimated frames. This is called 5:5 pulldown so there is no hitching that is created with something like 3:2 pulldown which can occur with a 60 hz only set when displaying 24 hz/fps material. Even plasmas such as Pioneer (72hz, 3:3 pulldown), Panasonic (48hz 2:2 pulldown and 96hz 4:4 pulldown) and now Samsung (96hz 4:4 pulldown) have varying versions of this as well.

Google or wikipedia it for a deeper explanation and you may be able to find a demo that shows you what it does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts