Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely new to VOIP world and recently I joined a VOIP provider. I am living in Toronto. I have a number of questions regarding to VOIP securities. They sent me a ATA model: Grandstream HT286

1. How would I found out my VOIP provider utilizes both RIP and SIP, for VOIP?
2. Does my voice stream get encrypted by default?
3. Does HT286 offer any voice encryption or VOIP securities?
4. Would other more expensive ATA model (i.e. PAP2-NA) offers better VOIP securities and voice encryption?
5. What can I do as an end user to improve my VOIP securities?
6. If I use CIBC telephone banking (for example), should I be worried about being eavesdropped?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Most VoIP providers use Session Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). However, SIP is only used to set up calls. It does not carry the phone call. That's done by Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP). Also, RIP is a routing protocol that has nothing to do withVoIP.

The VoIP provider is not likely to provide encryption. Encryption is generally done in the phone or other end device. Of course, if you send your VoIP calls over an encryted VPN, then it will be encrypted along with other traffic.

BTW, ordinary "POTS" phones don't use encryption either. Your phone line is accessable at many points, including right outside your home. It's harder for someone to intercept VoIP than analog phones, but not all that difficult.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
You'd have to arrange that with the CIBC. If they offer such a service (I doubt it), then they'll have all the details. You cannot do it unilaterally.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
First, I don't do telephone banking. I use the web site, which uses encrypted connections.
2nd, a regular POTS phone isn't any safer than VoIP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would you conduct telephone banking through VOIP

I am curious about how current VOIP users feel about VOIP security and privacy.

Would you conduct any telephone banking through VOIP services?

·
Registered
877 Posts
if I did [do telephone banking] I would prefer VoIP over POTS.
Ditto. Every place except one that I've lived in has the POTS demarc mounted at ground level. It would take about 15 seconds to attach a couple of alligator clips to a recorder or small FM transmitter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts