Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to maintain access to the closed circuit camera of my apartment building without having Shaw? I moved to Telus due to pricing and I don't think they use analog to enable this channel. Shaw claims the only way to enable it is if I order cable through them again...

Any responses much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the modulated security channel is usually combined with the catv signal at the apartment panel box. otherwards......the security signal is modulated onto the co-ax wiring in your apartment building and needs to be activated for you to get it......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lucky your not in Manitoba. MTS came to install a second camera in the building because they couldn't use the existing like Shaw could. Now MTS is charging their customers in the appt I live in 6.99 for the security channel or you need to upgrade your package with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If they were to add a data-only filter, the analog channel may be high enough on the band to be able to view it on a TV. It's worth it to go into the local office and ask.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chuck12,

You should write MTS a letter and tell them you cannot afford to pay $6.99 per month to view the camera, so you will be forced to let everyone who buzzes into the building without seeing them.

Copy your landlord. Copy the Police. Copy the Insurance company.

MTS will give you the channel.

·
Super Moderator
56,560 Posts
If there is a cable outlet, even if you don't subscribe to cable can you tune the channel with your TV's internal NTSC tuner via the RF-coax input?

With some apartments, basic cable is included with rent...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chuck12,

You should write MTS a letter and tell them you cannot afford to pay $6.99 per month to view the camera, so you will be forced to let everyone who buzzes into the building without seeing them.

Copy your landlord. Copy the Police. Copy the Insurance company.

MTS will give you the channel.
Naa, I am all good, I have shaw. Just alot of the seniors in the building that are MTS diehards were telling me. I'll let them know your suggestion, seniors are good at writing letters heheh.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lucky your not in Manitoba. MTS came to install a second camera in the building because they couldn't use the existing like Shaw could. Now MTS is charging their customers in the appt I live in 6.99 for the security channel or you need to upgrade your package with them.
Chuck12, not sure where you got your information, but MTS does not charge for Security Camera access (they call the service "MDU camera"). I have 3 different friends who are in different buildings in town all who have MTS Ultiamte TV, all have the MDU camera and none of them pay anything.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is the security camera feed available on the MTS classic package?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Timmaywpg,

I don't think so, but admitantly I don't know for sure. I know I have the MDU channel on channel 1010 at home - apparently everyone has the channel by default it just doesn't do anything unless you are in an apartment building that has the service enabled. Check your TV service to see if you have channel 1010, if you do, I would expect the service would be available to you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
RandomGuy, I don't know either.. i have the ultimate package and have seen the channel on it...however I live in a house, so there's obviously no picture on this channel. I have a few friends that live downtown and have the ultimate package who all get their lobby feed off their STB's - with no extra charge.

I wonder if MTS charges 6.99 to enable the security feed on the "classic" boxes. If this is true, that's quite the ripoff!

Hopefully someone can clarify this for us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder if MTS charges 6.99 to enable the security feed on the "classic" boxes. If this is true, that's quite the ripoff!

Hopefully someone can clarify this for us.
And probably better asked in the MTS forum. This isn't a Shaw problem, it's an MTS problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my information from the MTS loyal senior tenants in the building. Rest asured, I've been yelling pro shaw stuff at them. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, the camera is modulated in to the CATV signal. As for adding a filter, Telus TV has a nasty habit of feeding noise back on to the return spectrum of the cable and affecting phone and internet for an entire node so that will not be happening.

Sorry but you will have to live without the camera or convince your landlord to make a significant investment in some new panels and hardware to run the security camera seperate from the CATV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts