Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find some small wired or wireless security cams that can also be remotely monitered from a smartphone if required Anyone recommend some brands or infomation pls and thx.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is a inside camera only.

How many are you looking to install?
What is your budget?
Have you look into standalone dvrs with bnc cameras?

If you are looking for outside models, make sure you get them water proof and with a heat system installed so the camera doesn't die during the winter (thats if you live in a cold place)

Regards
Playtoy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks
I looking for a home / business security type cams ,some outdoor and some indoor cams

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have dealt with a company called ITSPAUL (xxx.itspaul.ca) a few months back that installed a complete 4 security camera system at my wife's bridal store.

They deal with BNC cameras and standalone dvrs. Hit up there website and contact then via "contact Page" and let them know what you are looking for and what you want etc.

There website is still under construction but they did the job just perfect and right and I am able to view both of my stores via online.

They can also just sell you the hardware with pointers on how to get started and they will work with you through the install as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Best of luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the post so far

anyone know where (supplier would be for faceplates & ethernet\coaxial plugs) and the fancier type lite switches like nuvo or like some of the step lighting supplies are) ?

also who installs them I have the house all wired but need the ends for the ethernet put on or is it better to just go get a crimper and the ends and do it myself.

what companys do home automation in the edmonton area (only ones I have found currently do (control 4 ,and another nuvo ) but they only sell and install there own equip.

·
Registered
326 Posts
+1 For Foscams

I bought the outdoor stationary cam (FI8905W) for my back yard, and the rotary indoor cam (FI8918W) for the front.

Both cams are outdoors, but protected from the rain (under awnings). Even though the indoor cam is intended for indoor use, I had no problems with it. Although, because I live on the West coast, I don't experience brutally cold weather either.

The Foscam cameras are WI-FI connected, but need power to work. I managed to connect them to nearby power. What's also nice, is that you can set up a way where you can monitor these cams remotely, from anywhere in the world, as long as you can connect to the internet.

Once in a while they do need a reboot (usually about 3-4 months). I bought mine from a Canadian distributor, that was authorized by Foscam, and are relatively economical. Had them for a year, no complaints.

·
Registered
980 Posts
thanks for the post so far

anyone know where (supplier would be for faceplates & ethernet\coaxial plugs) and the fancier type lite switches like nuvo or like some of the step lighting supplies are) ?

also who installs them I have the house all wired but need the ends for the ethernet put on or is it better to just go get a crimper and the ends and do it myself.

what companys do home automation in the edmonton area (only ones I have found currently do (control 4 ,and another nuvo ) but they only sell and install there own equip.
Company I work for we do all that stuff, data, voice, tv cabling, security, cameras, tv\audio install etc.. PM me if you want. Also to find some specialty stuff, theres places like Nedco on 97 st & 39th ave, and just a block down on 98st and south of 39th ave theres walelectric, they also carry alot of specialty networking stuff.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I hope this message doesn't get "filtered" but here goes...

The Canadian supplier has changed from when I bought the cameras, but it's still authorized by Foscam so...

http://www.foscamcanada.com/

In case it IS filtered out... it's foscam canada dot com (obviously no spaces).

·
Registered
326 Posts
As for recording, the Foscams can be set up to upload pictures at a variable rate from less than a second to once every few minutes. Or to upload pictures once it detects motion, at certain times a day. I have mine set to FTP pictures to my file server, during then night once it detects motion. You can have them sent to any URL you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hope this message doesn't get "filtered" but here goes...

The Canadian supplier has changed from when I bought the cameras, but it's still authorized by Foscam so...

http://www.foscamcanada.com/

In case it IS filtered out... it's foscam canada dot com (obviously no spaces).
the foscams looks great, although I'm worried about the professionalism of this company :p
In the FAQs, some one asked about the temperatures that the camera can operate. The response: "On the data sheet, the operating temperature is 0--50C, but I sold lot of outdoor cameras to Quebec, Alberta and New Finland no customer complains about performance under cold weather until now." New Finland? Mildly amusing... :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Cat5 video door intercom

Searching for cat5 video door intercom system. Either US or Canada store. Not much luck using the search function here in the forum.

Anyone recommendation?

TIA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts