Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kid's computer is in virus hell. I'm having to start over with a full Windows 7 (x32) re-installation. I'm trying to do the installation on a new drive, keeping the original as a second drive - hopefully recovering some data once the virus has been dealt with. Can I install a second drive without losing the data? Seems Windows 7 won't recognize the drive until I do a full format (which will wipe out the files).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Larry:

I've done exactly what you said. However, the second drive (i.e. the hard drive with all the files) does not show up automatically. I have to go through Disk Management in order to see it. Disk Management wants me to assign it a volume letter and to format it completely.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assigned F as the drive letter through Disk Management. The drive can be seen (both in BIOS and in Windows), but I get an inaccessibility error - indicating that the drive must be formatted first.

I thought of the enclosure idea. Perhaps as a last resort.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ubuntu could see the files, but I could not move them.

I bit the bullet... I reformatted the drive. Yes, I lost my data (nothing major, but still irksome). My teenagers have lessons learned about backing up and opening questionable internet links.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.