Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in the Globe and Mail that season 2 will be on A Channel in the fall. I guess that means no HD.

I've been enjoying season 1 in HD on CTV and hope they'll show season 2 later in HD.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now they're starting season 2 on Sunday, the same day it premiers on AMC in the US. I guess that's a good thing, but they haven't finished season 1 on CTV yet.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Here is what is happening. A-Channel will begin airing season 2 on Sunday night. CTV will no longer air season one because they want to simulcast encores of Flashpoint with CBS at 10:00pm on Sunday nights. Season one will air exclusively on Bravo! on Wednesday nights at 9:00pm ET, while season 2 airs on A-Channel. Here is CTV's schedule for next week. Here is ASN's. Also here is the press release from CTVglobemedia.

I have no idea why CTV is doing this. It doesn't make any sense to air to seperate seasons on two different channels at the same time.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It was never supposed to be. When CTV announced their fall schedule in June they scheduled season 2 to air on A-Channel this fall. They just moved the premiere up a couple months so it would air around the same time as the US airing.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
A-Channel is CTV's secondary service. It broadcasts OTA in Victoria and Southern Ontario (Barrie, Ottawa, London and maybe a few other places). I'm not sure if the signal is strong enough to reach Buffalo. But, I'm not famillier with Southern Ontario, so that is just a guess. It broadcasts OTA on Channel 3 in Barrie/Toronto and channel 10 in London.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mad Men (A Channel, AMC)

I haven't found any threads or even posts about this series, so this may be a first.
Is anybody else watching it? I am.
I will admit that at first I didn't even register that it was being shown(premiere episodes on AMC, re-runs on Bravo!) but after several awards it won - I decided to give it a try to find out what the noise was all about. And I'm glad I did.
It's a subtle, almost languid look at the American early 1960's through the prism of advertising companies("Mad Men" = Ad Men) on New York's Madison Avenue.
Some very effective performances by Jon Hamm, John Slattery, Elizabeth Moss, Vincent Kartheiser, Anne Dudek(Amber from "House") and, my personal favourite, January Jones. Don't laugh! If you haven't been impressed by her guest appearance as conniving scammer Kim Brody) on last season's Law & Order, I think you will recognize her talents here as the enigmatic wife of Don Draper(Hamm).
Anyway, this series has really grown on me and I honestly have to say that I am now looking forward to every Sunday evening premiere episode.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This is an excellent show. I actually went out and picked up Season 1 on Blu-ray to check out the extras and commentary. I enjoyed Season 1 but so far Season 2 has been even better. I found some of the Season 1 episodes to be a bit plodding and the political incorrectness was sometimes played up too much (which I guess was necessary to set the tone and establish the characters), but Season 2 is taking the characters along some interesting arcs.

Here's hoping it continues to improve before the inevitable cancellation to make room for more shows about dysfunctional dumbass "celebrities" and their empty, meaningless, dignity-deprived lives.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I thought season 1 was outstanding, but so far (for me) season 2 seems to be moving along much slower. Season 2 is about the characters personal lives whereas season 1 was character driven stories and setting up the world. The flashbacks and the slow unpeeling of Don Draper's backstory was the best part of season one. There was an episode called "The Hobo Code" which I thought was their best of the season.

So far the best scene of season 2 was the family picnic outing. I'm imagining the world where a family just shakes the blanket and leaves behind a pile of litter on the park grass and drives away in their station wagon. All the smoking and the way women are treated -- great stuff.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I agree, Season 1 was outstanding, but now that Season 2 is underway (I'm only about 4 episodes in), I'm enjoying some of the tension generated by Don's ascent into partnerhood and his parallel descent into the morally questionable side of business, such as the Mohawk/American Airlines story.

For example, when the Mohawk exec puts his hand on Don's shoulder after Don has broken the bad news and says "You fooled me" you can almost see the integrity evaporate off Don's face. He fought for this client and believed in this client, but the relationship is all too easily cast aside for the prospect of "bigger fish".

Also, the domestic tensions are heating up, with Don's smashing of his son's robot toy and that hard shove he gave Betty after the resulting argument. Didn't really expect that, though you could almost see it coming. Even though I'm a child of the 70's and 80's, I find the time period of the show, right before the major cultural upheaval of the 60's, fascinating. So many things have changed, so many things have remained the same.

Complex characters, great writing, interesting stories...this show has a lot going for it. As I said earlier, I'm enjoying it while it lasts... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts