Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice I have the pdf plans for the DBGH I am guessing that it is a DBGH6n2 version. I would include tv fool data but I can't figure out how to upload it to your site so I have placed a link hope it works. My main question is the version of the gh best for my location. Thank You all for any help

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dccd182d6ab3a72

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
reg87:

Welcome to the forum. Your link seems to work fine and your approx coordinates put you a little south of St. Louis, MO and about 6 miles west of Sedgewickville.

What channels do you want? You probably will be able to get down to WSIL with a preamp at the antenna, but WSIU on real channel 8 will require an antenna for VHF-hi. The channels marked 2Edge can be difficult.

KFVS on real channel 12 is also a VHF-hi channel, but it might be strong enough for your planned UHF antenna.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one of those little about 2 foot long rotor amp ant that the sale claims to be the best in the world and with the ac plug unplugged I receive all the way to wsil 34 except k10m not sure why. I am hoping to get the st louis station always did before digital change over but with this little ant I can get the st louis station but a lot of freezing, black screen, and pixels. so I thought I need more metal in the air. I am very interested in the gh antenna and will build one. I sure that if I would buy a large antenna with a good preamp it would do well. by the way I was a satellite tv and antenna installer for over 20 years or so I don't think I know what you guys know but do know what you are talking about and am entranced with the gh design. Thank You for replying. I want to build the one with maybe the not the highest but the best over all gain but if the one that I have is good I will just build it. more advice is always welcome thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree totally it is junk. I just bought it because it was cheap after a major storm and lost my channel master. I am not in Illinois I am in Patton Missouri is the pdf plans a dbgh6n2 is this correct.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I am guessing that it is a DBGH6n2 version.
Yeah, I think that is the one for you to build. You have some very weak channels and a good preamp is going to be necessary to preserve every bit of gain.

I was a satellite tv and antenna installer for over 20 years
Hopefully you saved some 3/8" rods as thats going to be the main cost. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the advice. yes I saved it one side is pretty good the other is pretty flat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I know thats where it thinks patton is but it is about ten miles north of that that's why I use Coordinates where it says patton around 700 ft above sea level and I am 890 feet above sea level except for to my west there very little higher than me for about 100 miles I do believe that the tv fool data is very conservative. most of the people with 4 - 5 mile of me get the St louis stations I have been asking around today they do use big channel masters thought most are using 30 ft towers. I would just go that route but I really want to build the gh. as I a have always been taught only a fool will not listen to advice from ones who have more knowledge than him. so please advice is welcome and thank you

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I have been asking around today they do use big channel masters thought most are using 30 ft towers.
The 30 ft towers with good quality preamps are still good. But there are no more Vhf-Low channels anywhere around you anymore, so the big booms and long elements arent needed .

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
reg87,

In ur tvfool u have a 50 ft antenna height. Is that going to be realistic?
Are you going to be able to get the antenna your building 50 ft above the ground?
If ya decide to use a preamp also (I would), take a look at the preamp chart for specs on various preamps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
already have 50' rohn tower, cm 7777 preamp, and rotator. and have tractor will lift to lower and raise tower and have done it many time :D so that all is not a big deal. yeah I have read that there is know low vhf anymore just 7-13 high vhf thanks

Reg

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
gotcha, just happened to notice that and didn't see any mention of any current setup to explain it. double check your fmfool also, just to make sure there's no strong fm stations nearby.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
yeah I know thats where it thinks patton is but it is about ten miles north of that that's why I use Coordinates where it says patton around 700 ft above sea level and I am 890 feet above sea level except for to my west there very little higher than me for about 100 miles
Ahh, that's good news. Thanks for the clarification.
as I a have always been taught only a fool will not listen to advice from ones who have more knowledge than him. so please advice is welcome and thank you
You are very wise!

Good luck with your project; it sounds promising.

Best regards,
rabbit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts