Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaw told the CRTC hearing yesterday that they will start MPEG4 on HD channels in 2011. Bell says they aren't ready as costs are too high.

So here we go again:

Paid $549 for a DSR 500 - not 8PSK capable
So Paid $100 for a DSR 505 - not MPEG4 capable
So HOW MUCH NOW for a DSR 605?

Before I spend 1 cent on an upgrade, Shaw must answer the question: "Is the 605 DVB-S2 capable?" There is no way when G1 becomes operational that I be required to buy a DSR705. I'll be changing providers instead.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The reason for the 6xx receivers, partly, is to be DVB-S2/MPEG4 capable.

Given that the G1 satellite has been planned for a few years, public for at least one, I would expect that they would be forward thinking enough to build in G1 capability into the 6xx receivers at least, if not receivers they designed when they had the notion of an extended Ku satellite, and how they were going to do the LNBF/switching.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Shaw may use the new satellite strictly for distribution, and not for the direct to home service.

-Mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
Shaw may use the new satellite strictly for distribution
The $ from distribution are shrinking every year as more fibre to head ends is laid. Shaw will use expanded SD HD offerings to push competing cable companies to pony up the extra $ for the HD feeds of Shaw Media/Corus digital properties.

you still watching a crt tv and use your vcr?
605 is currently $199, technology moves forward
You must be connected to Shaw in some way. Back when the 500 was introduced, someone posted the comments of a DirecTV engineer on this forum. Asked why DTV was sending out MPEG4 HD receivers/PVRs at a time when the MPEG4 chip cost was 2 X the MPEG2 chip and there were no MPEG4 broadcasts, he replied that "they didn't want to obsolete their customers in the future"

Now typical of the zero long term planning by Shaw Direct management, they will have obsoleted their HD customers TWICE in the same timeframe. Great business model "We are shortsighted - you pay"

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That would make no sense whatsoever. It can do both with no effect on anything.
Shaw will have to deploy a tech and supply parts to every customer that wants access to that new satellite, and that's a big expense. Who will pay that bill?

-Mike

·
Registered
478 Posts
Shaw will have to deploy a tech and supply parts to every customer that wants access to that new satellite, and that's a big expense. Who will pay that bill?

-Mike
All the press releases so far say it is for Shaw Direct. Not even a hint that it's for distribution purposes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Perhaps will they be deploying the card for the 505 and 530's as I understand it there is a slot for a card that will handle MPeg 4 and is user installable.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Curious: What is the source of this Bell statement that "they aren't ready as costs are too high"?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The 6xx series is MPEG4 and will be able to get G1 feeds. DVB-S2 seems to be a mystery. It was in the original specs, but that was ~2 years ago. The 605/530 will be good for the foreseeable future regardless.

G1 will likely be operational before all of the current HD feeds go MPEG4.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Jase88 Curious: What is the source of this Bell statement that "they aren't ready as costs are too high"?
Just do a Google News search with "Bell CRTC" as keywords. Even if you don't have subscriptions to the journals, you can see the headlines. Such as "CRTC chair stunned to hear Bell nowhere close to MPEG4" or "Shaw plans to transition to new satellite technology, Bell says it's impractical"

The bottom line here is that Bell is putting their money into IPTV - no more money to be spent on satellite - which has been a money loser for them since day 1. This business plan started last year when they subbed out N5 bandwidth to Dishnetwork.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Ahhh yes, the DTH hearings started yesterday. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, after reading the proceedings, a few facts emerged:

- Only 1% of Shaw's customer base has MPEG4-capable receivers
- Bell's customer base is 25% capable of MPEG4
- Shaw is launching a satellite in 2011 that will be capable of MPEG4
- Bell estimates the cost of upgrading all customers to MPEG4 at $1B.
- Shaw estimates the cost of upgrading all customers to MPEG4 at $600M.

The weak link for offering MPEG4 is customer equipment (once Shaw launches their MPEG4-capable satellite).

So it appears neither company is prepared to launch MPEG4 anytime soon. So the original poster can relax for a while, as his equipment will still be relevant for another few years at the least.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
"Shaw plans to transition to new satellite technology, Bell says it's impractical"
I didn't see that in reference to Shaw. But this quote appears to indicate that both satellite companies are at the same juncture:

"Even upgrading parts of a satellite for MPEG4 would be cost prohibitive and significantly disruptive to customers, Pizante (SHAW) said. To change out five transponders, or 10% of Shaw Direct’s capacity, would be the equivalent of 40 standard definition channels. “There’s no way to change this without affecting all our customers and it’s a total misnomer to say we can do that.”

·
Registered
647 Posts
Donnybrook said:
The $ from distribution are shrinking every year as more fibre to head ends is laid.
So very true.
This means the SD gradually looses it's financial leadership over BTV as distribution essentially subsidized all SD customers.

With this evaporation, it will be interesting to see if SD can be run efficiently enough to be a going concern. They clearly haven't shown much technological stewardship and I have no reason to believe the business side is any better until they get some new vibrant blood in there.

Clearly BTV has never reached that point in all the years.

It works in the U.S. as each Dish and DirectTV have well over 10M+ subs EACH.

In Canada, at best we could hope for would be 1 national provider and by combining assets, then capacity become a non issue.

My guess is TELUS will let both go down the tubes and then scoop them both, combine them into a workable service to compete with Rogers, Shaw and Bell while they continue to expand the Optik footprint.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This maybe a noob question but my background is more on using computers than Sat tech but why is MPEG4 an hardware problem in the first place? I don't get it should this not be something you could fix with a software update?

And MPEG4 is not exactly new is in it the standard was introduced in 1998.
So why on earth knowing that you would someday have to upgrade would you build and sell sat receivers that cannot support mpeg4 and cannot be firmware upgraded to support it in the future? If Shaw Direct start moving to MPEG4 with no exchange program for old receivers I smell a class action lawsuit in their future!

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
The delay in getting MPEG4 to market is processing power--MPEG4 requires more of it. To reduce costs, most STB's until recently haven't been built with the specs to support it.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
The thing that really ticks me off about Shaw Direct and Bell TV is that both have done very little to allow for major HD expansion. This is likely what is stalling so many of the English broadcasters from launching HD simulcasts of their stations.

If Shaw Direct is not in a position of transitioning to MPEG-4 until 2012 (when G1 launches), we'll likely only see a very small handful of HD channels until then. Also this is all dependent on G1 launching on time too. There was many delays in launching past satellites so I wouldn't even count end of 2012 as a firm date for launching and making G1 operational.

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
Again, SD's problem isn't so much an MPEG4-capable satellite (though that is needed of course). The biggest issue is getting the 99% of subs who don't have equipment to tune MPEG4 to equipment that does. Therefore, it's highly doubtful MPEG4 will debut on SD by 2012.

Either way, I don't believe the satellite carriers are in a crisis crunch of capacity quite yet. It's coming, but not yet.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts