Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
According to my latest bill, SD will begin charging us this LPIF fee starting April 1st. SD has been paying this LPIF fee all along on our behalf. "Should the LPIF percentage be reduced or eliminated, Shaw Direct will immediately do the same."

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/tv13.htm

LPIF = Local Programming Improvement Fund

·
Registered
82 Posts
From that website:
Certain cable and satellite companies have increased their customers’ bills by 1.5%. Can the CRTC stop them?

In Public Notice 2008-100 (paragraph 357), the CRTC indicated that “in light of the performance levels of the BDU sector2 and the benefits accruing to BDUs as a result of other changes being made to the regulatory framework, the Commission is of the view that there is no justification for BDUs to pass along any increased costs relating to the LPIF—estimated to be on average approximately $0.50 a month—to their subscribers.” (A BDU is a broadcasting distribution undertaking, such as a cable or satellite company.)
What recourse do I have to avoid this increase?

Subscribers can contact their service provider, as this increase is not required or regulated by the CRTC.
Interesting...
What does it mean that this increase is not required or regulated??
Lately it has been nothing but increases after increases, how much more can we take??

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The LPIF was levied against BDUs, not their customers. The original intent was likely to have BDUs absorb the cost or incorporate it into the basic fee. By passing it on, BDUs make it more visible and keep advertised prices lower.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm just surprised it took this long. Rogers and Bell have been adding it on since the CRTC decision.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see on my bill that they are also slipping in another unannounced mid-year rate increase at the same time as the CRTC 1.5% fee, probably hoping that people won't notice and will mis-direct their anger at the CRTC.

"Current Monthly Services (03-Mar-11 to 02-Apr-11)

Programming Price Change (Prorated) 0.06

CRTC 1.5% Local Program Fund 0.05"

·
Banned
844 Posts
This sucks!

One of the reasons I signed up with SD was the fact they did not have any of these 'bogus' fees that Bell & Rogers charge. I wonder if they will start charging a 'system access' fee at some point as well?! :rolleyes:

According to the note on my latest bill:

Since September 2009, Shaw Direct has been paying this fee on behalf of our customers. As of April 1, 2011 this fee will be a part of your monthly bill.
Nice scamjob there SD, according to the CRTC, this fee is levied on the BDU and they are the ones that are supposed to be paying it NOT THE CUSTOMER! Still mulling over whether I should complain about this (others have been successful in getting it removed, based on posts in the Rogers/Bell forums), while the amount is not significant its the principle of the matter.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
THe CRTC is off in la-la-land on this one. You increase the cost to a business they have only a fwe choices, eat it which the shareholders won't approve for too long, find other costs to cut or pass on the increase. The CRTC must be spiking their own kool-aid if they thought that any BDU would not fing some way to recoup this cost. I don't like the increased cost either but this really is the CRTC's fault.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got my Shaw Direct bill today with the LPIF charge of $0.30. Just like DP Ames noted, I also had a rate increase on my programming for $0.77 (on Digital Lite). I looked over my current bill and the one before that and nowhere did they inform me that the programming rate would be going up, it only noted the LPIF charge.

Looks like they decided to slip this in, using the LPIF charge to obscure the rate increase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was hit with both increases as well. I called SD and told them for the umpteenth time, that as a courtesy perhaps they could notify me a month in advance that my bill would be going up. I hate being surprised every few months with an increase, especially getting double-whacked. It ticks me off to no end.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looking over this months bill and I see it went up almost $3. I see 75 cents for the LPIF fee and $2 on my Extra Value Pack plus the additional HST :(

Seems everyone is wanting increases this year and my pay cheque just isn't keeping up :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Seems everyone is wanting increases this year and my pay cheque just isn't keeping up
While I don't like rate increases (and not when they're pretty much every year), my problem with this one is that there was absolutely no notification that the rate would increase. Both my current and previous bill have the same notification about the LPIF charge, nowhere did it say there would be a rate increase to the programming.

I contacted Shaw Direct through their online form yesterday about this, still waiting for a response.

Edit: I received a response, they said they added an incorrect code to my account. Then they went on to say "The error had been discovered a short while ago and it is our #1 priority to correct the accounts that were affected."

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I don't like rate increases (and not when they're pretty much every year), my problem with this one is that there was absolutely no notification that the rate would increase. Both my current and previous bill have the same notification about the LPIF charge, nowhere did it say there would be a rate increase to the programming.

I contacted Shaw Direct through their online form yesterday about this, still waiting for a response.

Edit: I received a response, they said they added an incorrect code to my account. Then they went on to say "The error had been discovered a short while ago and it is our #1 priority to correct the accounts that were affected."
I'm interested to know what "incorrect code" SD added to your account, and what the increase actually ended up being. I certainly wasn't told this.

Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm interested to know what "incorrect code" SD added to your account, and what the increase actually ended up being. I certainly wasn't told this.

Let me know.

Thanks.
Assuming they're telling the truth, it sounds like a billing error. I suspect that this means the programming is not increasing (at least not now). They probably messed up when they instituted the LPIF charge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Assuming they're telling the truth, it sounds like a billing error. I suspect that this means the programming is not increasing (at least not now). They probably messed up when they instituted the LPIF charge.
I think post #5 nailed it the best. Trying to sneak in a programming increase at the same time as the LPIF charge. The amount of price increases in the past year are astounding to say the least. And if I hear one more time about how many more "useless" channels I get somebody is going to be sorry.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's especially BS here in NB.
No programming on SD originates from here, and if you live outside the major centres, you cannot receive the signal OTA.
What exactly am I paying for - to have CTV Atlantic produce even more news that concerns NS?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's not about what anyone receives or where they live. It's about trying to preserve what little local programming that remains. If your local programming is already gone, that sucks but don't blame the BDU. This fee was imposed by the CRTC after they were blackmailed by CTV. IMHO, the CRTC should have called CTV's bluff and told them to either comply with their current programming obligations or forfeit their license so that someone else could.

BTW. SD will likely add more local channels once once their new satellite is active. There is no guarantee there will be a local channel from your area but it's possible.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Understand. I know its CRTC, and not the BDU. But it seems like I'm preserving everyone else's local programming and not my own.
Hopefully NB will be better served in the future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What a snow screen! This is about extra profits for the providers, nothing else. It's very simple: shift the onus on the customer to pay this, like we didn't already pay for this, that's an extra buck for Shaw. These big corporations are completely in bed with the CRTC. Fortunately I believe the worm will turn soon, they got too greedy too quickly.

On top of this, they cut our HD timeshifting service March 31st and have magnanimously offered to sell it back to me for another buck. We've just made the decision to go completely OTA (a choice many in Canada don't have) and toss our StarChoice receivers into a dumpster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Crtc 1.5% lpif

I also took a hit on my last Shaw Direct bill for two items both mentioned in previous posts, seems like the CRTC ruling (also previously posted) does not ring any bells with the management team at SD because its worded very clearly to not pass this cost on to the customer. I wrote To the CRTC and got a reply very quickly saying call your service provider, among other things. So I called SD and had this item removed and the increase in programming costs removed for one year. I will see on my next bill if this is so, I also contacted a technical manager from Shaw Communications on this matter with a copy of the CRTC email to me, waiting to see what happens. I am very dissapointed with this nonsense, its a rocky road for SD to be playing a game of chance with its long time customer base. It may be a small amount charged per customer but my opinion is no to TV tax, BC 12% HST + 1.5% TV Tax, I DONT THINK SO!!! Dont mess with your customer base Shaw Direct!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts