Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to a new apartment in Mississauga and got my satellite setup last night (finally) but I have a question with regards to the signal strength and the bar below it.

I set my satellite to channel 299 and dialed in the signal and am getting an 78 for the signal level and about 75% of the bar below it is green(the rest being white). When I change the channel over to 274 though I am getting similar signal level and the bar is about the same but the bar is a yellow instead of the green. The channel looks good and clean (no pixelation etc.)

Is the yellow bar on channel 274 an issue or is it normal???

I haven't checked any other channels as of yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 2 channels you mention come from different satellites. Channel 299 comes from Anik F1R, while 274 comes from Anik F2. Therefore it appears your signal level from F2 (the yellow bar) is not as strong as it might be.

The yellow bar ususally means the signal level is marginal. Perhaps the dish needs to be peaked to maximize the signal strength. I would think in Canada you should be able to do better than the 70's on both satellites.

Another thing.....you could select each of the 2 channels you mention and go Options 6-4-7. After a few seconds, some text should appear at the right on Line C. The numbers after the text "EcbNo" should +8.0 or higher. If not, it indicates that you signal quality is insufficient and you may experience some rain fade. Try this on both 299 & 274, noting the EcbNo's. Again, peaking your dish would raise these numbers, perhaps as high as +10.0 or higher on SD channels. I believe HD channels tend to show lower EcbNo's than SD channels.

Do you have access to the dish that you could do it yourself? (I'm presuming you hooked to a dish that was already in place in your new location). If you have access, without loosening any clamps, you could twist the dish gently left, right, up, and down, noting whether the signal level on 274 increases into the green range and whether the EcbNo's increase, and noting which direction improves the numbers. Then loosen the clamp and tweak the dish in that direction. This may take a little patitence, but the idea is to get the highest numbers (signal strength or EcbNo) from BOTH satellites.

If you're not comfortable peaking your own dish, doesn't Shaw have a free service when you relocate to get you set up?

If I misconstrued your post and you installed your own dish in your new location, you just need to spend a little more time with the fine-tuning process.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have access to the dish as I set it up myself when I moved from Toronto to Oakville. I elected to do it myself as I am in an apartment building and I needed to use an extended J pole in order to get the Anik F2 as the direction my dish points is almost parallel to the building.

When SD first set up things for me in Toronto, the tech wasn't interested in using anything other than what SD provided so based on that experience I never bothered calling SD to use their free moving service as I knew that the setup at the new apartment was going to be somewhat difficult.

I will check the EcbNo numbers tonight when I get home and report back my findings. I will also try playing with the dish a bit more tonight as you suggested.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmmm...that's very intersting what you say regarding the j-pole and the Shaw's reaction to it..... J-pole arrangements are pretty common here in the US with Dish Network & Direct TV. Usually they include some angle braces that really make the whole setup look pretty stable.

Hopefully a little tweakery will improve your signal, but if not, my signal levels at my southerly location run in the low 70's with EbNo's at about +8.3 with no problems.....though I realize we have different climate conditions.

Good luck......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright had a look at my Ecb/No and found that I am getting the following:

Signal, Ecb/No
299 = 85, 9.7dB
274 = 79, 4.6dB
261 = 85, 5.8dB

Is it possible that some of the signal strength could be due to the satellite being almost parallel to the building and maybe sort ofblocking some of the signal coming from Anik F2??

edit: I checked 261 as well and found the results posted.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your numbers sure look like you're having a problem with F2. I would think that 274 should get you at least a 6.0 since it's HD (mind you, I have NO experience with HD, so I'm guessing).

Is the dish on the easterly side of the building so that the most-westerly satellite has the potential of being blocked, and the easterly-most satellite being clear?

Is there a possibility there is a roof overhang that is partly blocking the signal? Remember, the satellites are higher in elevation than you would think by viewing the apparent tilt of the dish, so if the dish is too high up, near the overhang, that could cause a problem and not the wall itself.

I presume you have checked the more obvious things like the mast being plumb and the elevation & skew settings, as well as the possibility of trees or other objects (other than the building) being in the line of sight?

It seems like you must be interested in HD, so Anik F2 is equally as important to you as F1R. If you could sacrifice the HD, the majority of English channels come from F1R where you're getting a good signal.

Probably not what you would like to hear, but if you've ruled out the obvious things, you may need to seek a different location for the dish, if possible. Or, if you could modify your j-pole to get if further from the building....

What EcbNo do you get on 701 & 712? Those are from F2 as well, and should be in your package even though they're French.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adjusted the skew of the dish today and was able to get a 5.4 dB now for the Ecb/No

I guess the building is blocking the rest of the signal.

Thanks for all the help :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts