Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our dish mounted on a crumbling structure (garage, so needs replacing) so I have to move the dish about 6 inches to a more stable platform.

Right now, the signal is 95, ECB of 8.0. Though the ECB has been as high as 10.5. Seems to be fluctuating, but that fluctuation doesn't alter the problem noticably (505 tuner)

Anyway, the HD channels are perfectly fine, but the SD channels are pixelating, not heavily but enough to be a nuisance.

Most of the programming I watch is on HD so it works for me, but if we have a non-working Treehouse it could potentially be an issue.

Is this likely to be a cause of an unstable mount? It's not particularly windy right now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
With numbers that high I don't think the dish is a problem. Keep in mind that EcbNo's tend to run 2.0 lower on HDef channels. If you're getting a large fluctuation of EcbNo's on the same channel, then that might indicate your dish shifting with the structure.

I experienced this same occurrence once recently, and for the first time in 4 years of having Shaw. My receiver is only a SDef receiver, but it is a DSR-319 that I recently purchased as an upgrade to the DSR-315. I never had this problem with the 315, so I'm still not sure if it's a problem on Shaw's end or with the new receiver. To further muddy the waters, I also recently upgraded my dish and LNB to a new 75e/quad.

It happened several times in the space of a few minutes and each time resulted in total loss of signal (red on front panel). The signal returned in a few seconds, and weather on my end was not a factor. I was watching one of the Anik F2 French channels at the time. Finally, when it occurred again, I flipped quickly to an English Anik F1R channel and the signal was normal. This told me it was limited to the one satellite.

I have not had a recurrence of this problem since last Saturday.

Other posters have reported similar incidents lately.

On which channel(s) does it occur for you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts