Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question other subscribers of the Shaw Direct HD service: I purchased the HDPVR in January and for the first couple of months the PQ on all of the free HD channels seemed to be fine. Back in March I added the HDExtra package and for a while that was fine too.

But starting about 8 weeks ago a few HD channels started experiencing intermittent picture problems in which the image would freeze, become all pixelated, have and lose the audio. This would happen 2 or 3 times a minute and last for 3 or 4 seconds each time. It was always the same channels showing this problem, namely the west coast network channels (especially Fox west coast), Frame, National Geographic, and several (but not all) of the specialty channels in the HDExtra package (mostly TLC and Discovery). The problem came and went at first so I thought it was a broadcast issue, but in the last few weeks has become almost constant, so that I can longer watch most of these channels at all.

I find I also have to reset the box (push and hold power for 10 secs) at least 2 or 3 times a week to get it working again.

Anyone else have similar issues? Is this a PVR issue in the hardware? Do I need SD to replace the box?

Thanks for your comments.
Bruce Wildish

·
Registered
531 Posts
sounds like your dish needs to be adjusted. could also be a bad connector on one of your wires. a service call is warranted. does not sound like a hardware problem imho. there are more expert people here who might disagree

·
Registered
470 Posts
Try Options 6-4-7 and read the signal strength at the time it is happening. I have this problem on Fox HD East and just switch to SD when it happens. Usuall happens whn the strength drops below 50.

It might be tree branches too.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I had a problem with quite a few HD channels, mostly the sports ones, a while ago. I called Shaw Direct and after a couple calls finally convinced them that the dish needed to be re-alligned. The signal strength was down around 50 most of the time and below 10 during storms. Do what kcowan said, it may show what the problem is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
HD vrs non-HD reception??

For the last couple of days, I've been having problems with watching HD - some stations go (eg. 300, 391) for quite awhile or break-up. Others (390, 500) are usually good but do go in and out for a few minutes. The non-HD tv reception is fine.

Today, everything is fine. Any guesses??

·
Registered
146 Posts
For the last couple of days, I've been having problems with watching HD - some stations go (eg. 300, 391) for quite awhile or break-up. Others (390, 500) are usually good but do go in and out for a few minutes. The non-HD tv reception is fine.
The channels you mention above in the quote are SD and not HD, aren't they?

I noticed the same effect on 301 while Isabelle Boulay was singing at the Canada Day ceremonies. I usually watch the French channels, and I haven't noticed the effect on any French channel. I wonder if the problem is only with the Anik F1R satellites. All the ones you mention come from F1R......

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yes those are SD, CBC Halifax and CBC News Network are the first two if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about the other ones, I haven't had the old channel lineup for a year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes those are SD, CBC Halifax and CBC News Network are the first two if I'm not mistaken
Yes....it was a rhetorical question :)....the posts in this thread have stated the problem was with HD channels.

390 is CBC News SD and 500 is NBC East SD.

My point was that I'm not certain it's limited to just HD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
HD vrs SD

I wasn't able to get any HD channels + the SD were either NOT coming in at all (eg. 300, 391, 400) or coming in and out (390, 500). This lasted for a couple of days. Today, everything seems fine. I watched HD + 341 and 391 for awhile.

Any guesses as to what was going on???

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wasn't able to get any HD channels + the SD were either NOT coming in at all (eg. 300, 391, 400)
When this happened, what did you see on the screen? "Please wait....acquiring signal"? Black screen?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hd/SD

Yes, please wait - acquiring signal. FYI - my SD receiver worked fine. Go figure?? You'd think if a tree branch was blocking the signal for the HD receiver, it would have blocked the signal for the SD receiver.

If its a faulty connection, funny it just seemed to fix itself. I'm glad its working now but I'm puzzled as to the cause.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts