Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just noticed the auto-HD at Yonge & Eglinton.

Don't know if it's connected, but I'm suddenly getting a ton of pixellation and stuttering on live TV.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the pixellation/stuttering I mentioned earlier since the autohd switch.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yep, downtown Toronto got it. I just noticed this last night when I watched The Agenda. Blast! Now I have to hunt down my intentional SD recordings and switch them to the 100s. :mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a SD TV, a 8300HD PVR (because I could not buy a SD PVR as they are no longer available) and only basic cable. Now all my basic channels are in Auto HD. It is a pain in the neck to go to the 100 series of channels to get SD.

Does anyone know if you get Auto HD on the SD boxes like the Explorer 940?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also had an automated call from Rogers yesterday.

However, as a poster ^ noted, I have seen increased stuttering on some HD channnels, both live and watching from PVR.

I need to check my signal strength, but wondering if there is any correlation to the recent firmware/auto HD upgrades???

·
Registered
744 Posts
I need to check my signal strength, but wondering if there is any correlation to the recent firmware/auto HD upgrades???
I only noticed the pixellation and stuttering AFTER the AutoHD switch. It didn't occur when the firmware was upgraded.

I haven't seen the problem on the SD versions in the 100s, just the stations that are now AutoHD. Just checked the diagnostics...level's at 1 dBmV and the S/N at 37.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Forced HD channels after update

I have a 8642HD hooked up to my older non-HD tv and since the new update I keep on getting GREY bars at the top and bottom. I have tried going through the advanced set up menu and just selecting 480i standard output. I have also gone into the settings menu and change the picture format to fixed. Last but not least I have changed the cables I use to connect my 8642 hd to my tv. I have it connected via s-video, I have tried just composite and coax cable. I really like this new feature on my hd tv but its has messed up my non-hdtv experience. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so I have back to how it was without the GREY bars at the bottom and top. Thanks for any helpful input.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
there is no problem with your settings, just tune into the SD equivalent of the channel you want to watch. I do not know what area you live in, so go to the rogers.com and download your channel listings for your area, and simply tune into the non auto-hd feed, problem will be solved.

hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
timberland29: Please read the bolding and FAQ in post 1 of this thread.

By viewing the HD channels you actually get to see more of the image and you probably get better PQ (for true HD programming, even if watching on an SDTV). This way you can choose more/better (autoHD or HD) or larger, poorer (the SD channels available all over the dial above 100).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Auto HD is also now available in Brampton. On a side note, Rogers TV is also now in HD (channel 10 and 510).

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
510 doesn't seem to be available in Mississauga.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I meant to say the SD channels start at 104, well atleast in my area, formerly McLean Hunter Cable Systems Mississauga.

Rogers TV Channel 10 is still in SD here.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I have a 8642HD hooked up to my older non-HD tv and since the new update I keep on getting GREY bars at the top and bottom. I have tried going through the advanced set up menu and just selecting 480i standard output. I have also gone into the settings menu and change the picture format to fixed. Last but not least I have changed the cables I use to connect my 8642 hd to my tv. I have it connected via s-video, I have tried just composite and coax cable. I really like this new feature on my hd tv but its has messed up my non-hdtv experience. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so I have back to how it was without the GREY bars at the bottom and top. Thanks for any helpful input.
I have already spoken to Rogers about this. The CSR claimed it was not possible...

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
I have already spoken to Rogers about this. The CSR claimed it was not possible...
It certainly is possible. As I mentioned, just tune to the SD channel, which may require you to learn a new channel number, but somewhere on the dial there is an SD channel (excepting HDNet). Read Post 92 and 1.

For example, for Global, you can go to channel 116 in Toronto. For City 133, etc.

81 - 100 of 166 Posts