Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Just had the call - I am near PeterT at Kingston Rd & Markham Rd.

For the most part this makes sense - my wife is one of those that watches SD when the show is also in HD.

By the way, does this work for the premium Movie Channels in the 300s such as the variants of TMN?

If the Rogers SD cable boxes had the capability to zoom & crop then is there any reason for Rogers to still be using bandwidth for SD channels when an HD counterpart is available? Or even just display the SD channel in letterboxed format.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
^^^^
I have one 4250HD connected to an analog TV. The zoom function does not work to restore a full height picture on either those HD channels, nor on letterbox SD channels, such as The Discovery Channel. On the 4250HD connected to my computer monitor and the 8300HD which is connected to my HDTV, I can zoom the letterboxed TDC to full height. I no longer have a SD STB, so I can't check what happens with them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
lol @ the last question on their "faq".

Not really happy with it, one of the watchers in our house likes History, and watches it in SD (because not much HD content) and is physically disabled, so will not be able to hit the "249" keys to get to it. (would get to 45 by hitting 44 then up one). So is going to be stuck with the HD version of History now.

We should be able to disable it if we want to, shouldnt we?

And I wonder why Global is not included.?

and oh yeah, its live in BRantford..

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
If they automatically switch HD channels where SD is available then the "standard" 160 GB disc has to go away.
According to that Rogers Auto HD link, the SD channels are still available. They're just further "up the dial".

and is physically disabled, so will not be able to hit the "249" keys to get to it
Have you considered setting up favourites? With that feature, you can set up a list of favourite channels and use the "FAV" button on the remote to rotate through them. It seems to me that'd be easier that selecting 44 and then channel up. Also, if the set is HD capable, then it's better to watch 45, whether HD or SD content, than selecting SD only.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Seems dumb that there is no global setting to turn "Auto HD" on or off.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It needs an "off" setting. It's nice for your HD setups but it stinks otherwise. I think there will be a lot of non-HD adopters and older folks who are going to be very unhappy... especially all the people in houses around here who watch little TV and/or still analog-only, An "off-on" setting for this "feature" would help satisfy everyone.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
This only happens with HD subscribers. I don't see it with my SD Digital VIP. The SD is still on the same channels as before for me. I don't have to go looking for SD in the upper channels. But who knows, that could change, Then I'd be pissed!

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Several OT comments, remarks removed. If you wish to discuss other topics, please do so in another thread. I believe the topic deleted included incorrect info, but if it's substantiated, please post in another thread with substantiation, or put "rumour" in the thread title.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Auto HD not working here in downtown T.O., with 8300HD and the new firmware. Connected using HDMI.

Edit: I see on their web page that Toronto isn't in the drop-down menu anyway. So I guess we wait for it to happen, whenever.

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
People, this thread is about AutoHD, which is a separate item and rolled out to various regions separately.. Please discuss only that here. There's a separate thread for the firmware download. Off-topic posts have been deleted or moved.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Auto HD does not work in Brampton. Looks like My HD PVR got new firmware in last few days. I noticed when switching channels, light blue bar comes up on screen with channel info.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I guess Rogers only has a test-bed of areas where Auto-HD is available and it looks like Toronto isn't one of them. My area is not on that drop-down list either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been rolled out as well (North Ajax) to this autoHD feed, and while it's great for general channel surfing - it's absurd for the PVR. I've always tried to keep the recorded level at 60% max (after losing a whole ton of programming due to a box dying). After only a few days post-roll-out I'm in the 90's.

Rogers needs to either:

- only record HD content if specifically chosen, or
- supply PVR's with hard drives appropriate for HD, or
- open up the USB port on the front and I'll happily add a 500g/1t external drive.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
only record HD content if specifically chosen
The SD channels are still available. They'll just have different channel numbers.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts