Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Idiots. I'd like to meet the Rogers exec that decided this was a good idea. There are times where I prefer recording the SD version of a show so it takes up less HD space on the PVR. Shows that don't really benefit from HD at all, like for example The Agenda on TVO. It's absolutely pointless to record the HD version and it's the kind of show that I let sit on my PVR for a while before I watch a bunch of them. I want the option to record SD if I want.

The unknowing pleebs who watch SD channels thinking it's HD can be easily educated rather than this stupid brute force method.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They've obviously only done this to HD settop boxes. It's nothing more than a simple change in the channel map for those boxes. I think the idea makes sense to a degree not withstanding some of the good points made in previous posts.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I have to agree with those that think its a bad idea.

If the re-map is here fine, but if the SD channel on HD boxes are set that if the HD signal isn't working it reverts back to SD thats OK but if it doesn't, I want to knoiw how many here will still then like it when suddenly you can't watch the show? :mad:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The point about recording SD to save disk space is valid. I just hope there is not Family-HD or YTV-HD because I'm not going to have any room for *my* shows when there are episodes of Hanna Montana, Sponge Bob Squarepants and Suite Life on Dreck (my spelling) filling up the hard drive. It would be nice if, when you are setting up a recording, the box would give you the option (if available) to select an SD feed of a show to save on disk space.

cm023, thanks for answering my question. The reason I asked was that my kids were watching Mythbusters on Discovery (SD) and it was pillar-and-letterboxed. Or is Mythbusters still obnly shown in SD? I guess I'll have to check things out later (after the kids get off the PS3).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
for people who want to record SD versions to reduce disk space, and are complaining, I see your valid point. Perhaps they are trying to move ahead in the HD future, and want to promote HD, which I cant say is bad, they also need to look at what the consumers want, and maybe try being creative or innovative. They can make DVD Recorders where you can select the DVD quality and it will encode based on the quality you select, so PVR's should have this type of setting too.

Make it so a PVR can record a show in 720 or perhaps 480p. The box can downconvert signals anyway, so im pretty sure a 480i signal will take up less space on a pvr, and if they can downconvert it, store it on the pvr, you can watch it in what quality you selected. That would be a very good idea, why has no one thought of this yet?

·
Super Moderator
56,558 Posts
There are probably equivalent SD channels in the 100s for most of the network programming if you wish to record SD. For example, I was doing an optimization today where someone had this active and there was a regular TVO there, Ch 144?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Provided SD is not locked out because HD is, I like the idea of automatic HD.

Not being a TV addict, when I surf channels and find something to watch I don't like having to shrink the picture and use that crummy search to find out if it's available in HD and then find out if I am subscribed to that channel.

The problem of filling up the PVR with HD when SD would suffice could, and should, ideally be dealt with by the PVR being able to record in different resolutions the way VCR's did.

·
Super Moderator
56,558 Posts
PVRs do not work that way, they record the (digital) channel signal they're tuned to bit for bit. There is really no way to change "resolutions" other than changing the channel.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That hasnt happen in Scarborough Still showng the SD of CHCH 11. and checked all the other channels. ( Markham and Eglinton )

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had 2 comments.

One is in responce to what 57 said that PVR's do not work that way. Ok? well maybe presently they do not operate in such manner, but that does not mean they can not be adapted to such behavior, it could very well be really simple. I work in Audio Productions, Even though an audio broadcast can be in highest quality, we can set the bitrate before we can record it, and it will save it to disk with much less space. We do this alot, I can't see why the PVR can not? The PVR outputs the "Copy to VCR" in widescreen SD anyways, right? so it is possible.

when the first PVR was made, They didn't take into effect HD, it was just a SD PVR, but if they built it from the ground up, they would have thoguht of this, or it would have been implemented. perhaps because we transitioned to HD at an unusual time, this was left out or not thought of at the time

My other comment is this.. In Europe, the Satellite dish receivers work in the same way where if an HD channel exists, the SD channel does not appear. It would be trhe HD one, they dont have the pillar box issue that us north americans have.

we're just finally catching up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Paolo: That's what I meant when I said,
could, and should, ideally be dealt with by the PVR being able to record in different resolutions the way VCR's did.
With the emphasis on being able to, I'm no technician but laymen thinking out loud might encourage technicians to come up with solutions.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If they automatically switch HD channels where SD is available then the "standard" 160 GB disc has to go away. They hooked me by saying it could record 90 hours; now it can't.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Checked again last night. TLC (SD) was showing a letter-boxed 16x9 frame (which was then pillar-boxed by the STB to fit the screen).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They've obviously only done this to HD settop boxes. It's nothing more than a simple change in the channel map for those boxes. I think the idea makes sense to a degree not withstanding some of the good points made in previous posts.
That has to be it. I'm in Woodstock and have a 4x3 TV with an 8300SD PVR and Channel 11 Hamilton looks normal, with no mention of HD. If Rogers switched channels to the HD version only arbitrarily, so that I couldn't view them, I'd be cancelling my account. However, if I had HD capability and wasn't specifically subscribing to an HD package, I'd be quite pleased to see the HD version substituted on the same channel for free. Hell, even if I was subscribing to HD, I'd be happy to find the HD version of each channel in a familiar location instead of some 3-digit channel number I couldn't remember.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I record Canada's Worst Driver from Discovery in SD on an 8300HD PVR. I then copy this to my DVD recorder. The show is letterboxed on the SD channel and that's they way my DVD recorder sees it, with bars top and bottom. When I play back the DVD to my HD TV, I stretch the picture to fill the screen, well and good. One week, I accidentally recorded the HD channel. When I copied this to my DVD recorder, it recorded pillar bars at the sides as well as double width bars top and bottom. I was unable to stretch this to full 16X9 using my TV's stretch controls. There's another reason to make SD recordings an option.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I got hit with the update here this morning in Mississauga, formerly MacLean Hunter Cable. My Boxes reset to channel 1 this morning thats how I knew something was different.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just had the automated call; they refer to a web page that describes what they have done, and also has a channel listing for the areas where this has been implemented.

This is in the Kingston Road / Guildwood Parkway area of Scarborough.

21 - 40 of 166 Posts