Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Edit by 57: Before complaining about the things this doesn't do, please read the Rogers FAQ link about this topic on their website. Many people "complained" about not being able to record SD, when, in fact you can by choosing channel numbers above 100. Same for people watching on SDTVs.

Since this thread started, many SD channels are now Auto-HD.

I got an automated message informing me that now all SD digital channels with a HD counterpart, will show the HD feed when selected... went checked, voila most channels now re-direct to the HD feed.

Rogers way of forcing you into HD I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
hmm, I guess I don't have that update yet. What's the make/model of your STB? I have the latest firmware on my two SA8300HDs, so this must be separate.

I tried 3, 7, 30, 33, 42, 61.

How did you get the automated message - STB, e-mail, phone?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phone call about a hour or so ago.

Using a 8300 with no firmware update yet.

This is what I get when tuning into a SD station (in this case CHCH, Channel 11)

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
That's very interesting. I just tried 11 and the SD channel was a cropped version of the HD channel with the black bars on the sides covering lots of info that's on the HD channel. The subject of another thread I guess, but interesting nonetheless. I've seen discussions of this regarding the US channels on digital, but don't recall seeing it on Canadian channels, however, I don't watch much network TV.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Is it actually showing you HD content (assuming you have an HD STB/set) or is it the HD frame, downconverted with top/bottom bars to make it 4x3?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
yeah that looks like the hd feed. hmm i like this update.

cant wait for it to hit my hx box. i have some family members who watch the SD program for hours, which makes me dizzy with the pillar box frame, instead of watching the HD counterpart which is full frame.

this will be a big bonus

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Rogers way of forcing you into HD I suppose.
What terminal are you using. I just checked with a 4250HD and 8300HD and didn't see any difference. I'm still getting the SD feed on CBC (06), CTV (08), CITY (07) etc.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Not working at my location either, still getting the SD feed. I guess they haven't sent the Channel map to my box yet. This may not be a good idea. What if Rogers has a technical issue with the HD feed, then your're screwed.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Not working at my location either, still getting the SD feed. I guess they haven't sent the Channel map to my box yet. This may not be a good idea. What if Rogers has a technical issue with the HD feed, then your're screwed.
why would it not be a good idea? you know how many people have an HD box and do not know how to "tune" into an HD broadcast? I've been to so many peoples holmes and its still easier for them to watch channels 1 to 72 when they watch their favourite program, being forced to watch the black bars (created by the box) and the black top bars created by the program, not utilizing their full picture real estate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would this be to give Rogers some bandwidth back?
How are the SD channels named on an SD box?
My problem is now my PVR will fill up with Oprah.
The wife didn't care if it was SD and she doesn't have time to watch it every day, sometimes there'll be 2 weeks+ worth.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it actually showing you HD content (assuming you have an HD STB/set) or is it the HD frame, downconverted with top/bottom bars to make it 4x3?
Full HD, exact same thing as the HD channel.

Talking to some people it sounds like it was implemented to all of London today (likely a test market).

What terminal are you using. I just checked with a 4250HD and 8300HD and didn't see any difference. I'm still getting the SD feed on CBC (06), CTV (08), CITY (07) etc.
8300HD no Firmware update (hasn't hit London yet)

The best part of this, less Sim-Subs for the unsuspecting. For example ABC (28) in SD is almost always Sim-Subed in Prime Time.. however since they can't Sim-Sub over the HD channel (yet)... no Sim-Sub for the unsuspecting channel surfing viewer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
why would it not be a good idea?.....

If this is done when TCM-HD has a blackout in effect due to licensing issues, you won't be ablel to watch the movie at all.

Also, there have been times here when the HD feed is not available for some US nets (most frequently NBC) so the SD is a fall back.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts