Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone: I received notification that as of June 1, 2010, SD will be "moving" some French, Italian, Greek, etc. stations & that I will need to "upgrade" older receivers for those stations with a new receiver. Cost $29.

I contacted SD tech support & my old Navigo 401 will have to be replaced with a DSR319. Delivery will take 5 to 10 days. I will let you know when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That's actually a great deal. The 319 is a really nice receiver. It's very fast and will eventually have some nice upgrades.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's very interesting that they would suggest a DSR-319, since their website shows (and has shown for several weeks) that this model has been discontinued.

Per their website, the only non-HD receiver that is now being offered for sale is the DSR-209.

Hopefully, if they have offered it to you as an upgrade, they will continue to support it.....

Also, I'm not sure the "moving" you are referring to is the reason for the need to upgrade; I think it's because of an earlier Shaw bulletin (see cancombroadcast.com website, the "What's New" tab) that states they are changing the French SRC channels 703 & 705 to 8PSK modulation, which the older receivers cannot decode. Since 703 & 705 are simply duplicates of 700, 702, 701, & 704 (except for the time zone difference), I'm gonna wait until I see what receiver will follow the DSR-209....no sense in upgrading until I have to. I have read elsewhere that eventually all SD will be changed to 8PSK, and that they are likely to start the change with the French channels. We'll see....when they announce that they're gonna move 750, I'll need to get serious about upgrading. Hopefully the change won't come during the hockey season.

Go Habs....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yes the yet to be seen software applies to the SD models as well. And it will still be supported. 207/318/209/319 models are all identical. 209/319 are 8psk and 317/319 have a modem. Other than that, same thing. That's why they discontinued it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Joshauls:

Also, I'm not sure the "moving" you are referring to is the reason for the need to upgrade; I think it's because of an earlier Shaw bulletin (see cancombroadcast.com website, the "What's New" tab) that states they are changing the French SRC channels 703 & 705 to 8PSK modulation, which the older receivers cannot decode.
You are correct. But you explained the change better than the tech did ;)! Plus I am not sure what 8PSK means!

My elderly father watches some programs on 807. I want the change to be seamless for him. He still uses one of the early Star Choice remotes with two buttons for the devices (TV & Sat). I have tried to get him to switch, but he gets confused.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
My understanding is there are more traffic changes planned throughout this year that will result in more standard definition channels moving to 8PSK.

Although nothing has been confirmed yet, more french channels, sports PPV and some of the pacific feeds of specialty channels may be effected later this year. I even heard that the Spokane feeds may be on the move to 8PSK soon

·
Registered
114 Posts
SD is switching to 8PSK, everyone will eventually need to change their SD receiver for a DSR 209 or a DSR319. (HD receivers are unnaffected)

You can call SD and ask them for a "8PSK upgrade": a DSR319 at only 29$ (and no shipping charges!). Plus, you'll get one more channel: CBC Regina (298 classic / 28 advanced).

·
Banned
296 Posts
I will need to "upgrade" older receivers for those stations with a new receiver. Cost $29.
I don't get it. They force you to change your receiver but you need to pay 30$ to switch for a discontinued receiver. Last time I checked, THEY are changing their technology and THEY are responsible for their old receivers compatibility (lack of). They should ship you the discontinued receiver at no cost (probably a refurbish) and they should pick up your old receiver (or ask you to send it back in a store) for recycle.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The 319 is discontinued BUT there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And it will continue to be supported with any applicable software updates.
If you ask me, $29 is a steal. It's light years ahead of the old 315/205 and anything that came before them.
Also, they are allowed to do this. Please see TOS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Why Should an Upgrade to a new receiver be Free

Any piece of electronics has a life span. I don't see Dell or HP replacing computers for free because of the inability to run new software. If you have one of the old receivers you should expect to replace it. I fully expect to replace my 530's and my 505's when new recievers are released. I hope the cost to upgrade is fair and reasonable but if it isn't I will shop to see if I can do better with another provider. If not Shaw Direct wll continue to have my business. I still have my 500 working which was left behind when they went to the 8psk modulation and a 421 working but they will be replaced when thy need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
On this "deal" are they asking that you send back your old receiver?
Does this effect one receiver that one may own, What if you have 3 of these 401 will they send you 3 at cost $100 with tax and everything?

·
Registered
59 Posts
salut, j'ai appelé hier pour cela, et si vous poussez un peu ils vont faire comme si votre navigo dsr 401 et en panne ( pour ceux qui ont une garantie a vie avec plus de 2 recepteurs ) et ils envoye un recepteur obsolet le 309 ou 319 qu'ils ne vendent meme plus ( mais les vendent a rabais pour ecouler leurs stocks et recuperer des 401 pour les revendre peut etre au tiers monde hahaha ), pour 13.99 pour le shipping .

yaka

·
Registered
783 Posts
The 319 receiver must be the "best" Standard Def receiver Shaw Direct had. I was surprised to see them discontinue it but keep the 209 as the only Standard Def receiver in the lineup. The 209 doesn't have the modem and I think that the 319 has more outputs than the 209.

I thought that having a modem for Pay TV was a big deal to Shaw as they do so much advertising to be sure your receivers are plugged into a phone line, selling easy jacks etc.

So why they didn't discontinue the 209 and keep the 319 remains a mystery to me. I guess they are trying to get people to move towards the HD receivers ultimately so they really need to get the next generation DVB-S2 receivers finished and available.

The 209 & 319 will receive anything that a 505 or 530 can receive. The main problem is that it isn't going to be long before the 505 & 530 (and the 209 & 319) will be unable to receive some new channels offered by Shaw Direct.

Getting a 319 for $29 is a BARGAIN. Does it come with a remote as well? I thought I heard that they didn't give you a new remote for that price.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I just assumed that it came with a remote, but maybe not??

While it is true that HD will be moving to dvb-s2 and the new 6xx series will be required to view HD, no SD channels will be moving to dvb-s2 anytime in the foreseeable future.
However, it's pretty much a given that more SD channels are going 8psk and will be doing so very soon.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Any piece of electronics has a life span. I don't see Dell or HP replacing computers for free because of the inability to run new software. If you have one of the old receivers you should expect to replace it.
It's different matter.

The computer, you can do whatever you want with it, just like your TV or your toaster. It's yours. You can go anywhere with it, it will work everywhere. The old computer will still be able to go on the internet using a 33.6 modem.

Satellite receivers are linked to a provider. You cannot use it for digital cable or IPTV or to receive OTA channels. Once the switch to 8PSK complete, that box is just a piece of junk and will serve nothing. And you, the fool paying customer will have to pay extra so you can continue to watch your shows.

So no, I don't think it's fair to pay for a technology upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
There is a choice here. So-called "free" upgrades are paid for by all the subscribers of a service provider, so the provider has a choice of charging all their clients more, or charging the client with the old equipment. I believe the appropriate choice is the latter. Very few people expect equipment to last forever.

·
Registered
146 Posts
However, it's pretty much a given that more SD channels are going 8psk and will be doing so very soon.
I would be very appreciative if someone "on the inside" could/would post "how soon" Shaw will be changing SD to 8PSK, and the order in which channels will be changed.....

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Not all channels are going to suddenly switch to 8PSK over night. My understanding is the French Channels, Sports PPV, Pacific feeds of specialty channels and the Spokane locals will switch to 8PSK. There may also be new 8PSK only SD channel additions as well as a few random locals that might switch to 8PSK. Locals from the big markets and the most popular english specialty channels will likely remain QPSK for quite some time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts