Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
How much bandwidth does it actually save? A 1080i picture has 2.25x the pixels as 720p, but transmits them at half the rate. This means 1080i only transmits 12.5% more pixels in the same time. Other stuff, such as audio should be the same for both.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It is possible that bell TV will follow the lead of Dish and allow PPV Movies at 1080p to be downloaded onto the HD PVR's but I think that Dish might be using the Internet connection for some if not all of those downloads.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
How much bandwidth does it actually save?
As you say, it saves about 10% (taking audio into account) but with over 100 channels, that's 10 additional channels - a lot of bandwidth and probably a lot of transponder money. BTV also compresses the signal on all channels in addition to changing it to 720P, so there are additional savings there. Depending on the Cable provider, some channels are compressed, others are not. Compression of course is not the only criteria for picture quality, so let's not go there in this thread.

Anywho, as indicated in the FAQ I provided, no one is broadcasting in 1080P, so there's no need for a service provider to provide it.

As mentioned earlier, some VOD downloaded to the PVR HDD in the US is available as 1080P, but that's a different story.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Which is unfortunate. I know in Australia they're full 1080p.
In Australia there are no TV channels broadcast in 1080p , there 1080i .

From Wikipedia:

Broadcasts
"Even though various television networks in the world broadcast HDTV programming in 1080i and 720p, no 1080p broadcasting actually exists at this time."

·
Registered
384 Posts
First they have to start getting some real HD content! A good portion of the so call HD channel does not even have HD content most of time. If BDU's want to save some bandwidth they should pull the plug on the fake HD channels!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is there really a discernible difference between 1080i and 1080p anyway? I don't mean theoretically or when watching something frame by frame, but when actually watching video in motion.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
Progressive scan is always better than interlace when there's significant motion.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't think there's an ATSC or any other current broadcast standard that is higher than 1080p @ 24 frames per second. Which means absolutely no fluidness to the video at all, especially with fast motion. It is only good for movies, which are natively 24 fps. And most HD receivers/TV sets are doing a good job of reconstructing 1080p24 from the popular [email protected] format through 3:2 pulldown. Therefore - 1080p has no advantages in the current state of broadcasting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts