Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a certain procedure to discard old receivers? I have 2 x 3100's and a 4100 that I basically want to throw in the garbage (after removing and shredding the cards of course).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The 3100s could probably be sold for a small sum. Someone might also buy the 4100. Try posting here. If that does not work, Kijiji or eBay might. As a last resort, check for local municipal recycling centers. You might also want to check out Procedures for Buying and Selling of BTV Receivers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have to tell Bell first? Also, what about the cards? I can just shred them?

EDIT: just seen the link, thx

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You can scrap the receivers and shred the cards. If they still work, I would try to find a buyer first. A 3100 is still a valuable receiver to many people and some may prefer a 4100 to newer models. Just be aware that scrapping the receivers will leave them on your account indefinitely, even if you call Bell and try to remove them from your account. Technically, the cards belong to Bell but I've yet to hear of them wanting them back, except for upgrade purposes.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The receivers will be worthless without the cards as new cards cost more than the receivers are worth.

Don't shred the cards if you want to get cash for them. The cards belong with the receivers and should be sold with them. I'll buy them. PM sent.

·
Registered
405 Posts
[email protected] eco-fee.

You can destroy the receivers if they're not rental equipment. The smart cards don't matter. If they're old, Bell wouldn't want them back, anyway.

I'd sell the receivers, if the smart cards are up-to-date. If not, you're ripping someone off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts