Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got what says to be a DCT 6400 PVR. It works fine via component cables upstairs with a newer LCD TV. I move it downstairs plugged into a tube TV that also has component and all I can get are these weird little colored dots all over the screen.

I know the TV's component ports work as I can hook up a DVD player fine. I need to use component cable so the guide functionality works as it won't over composite.

For some reason the combination of this older tube TV and the Shaw box gives me these little fuzzy dots all over the screen and I cant see the scrambled picture.

My guess is some sort of resolution setting?? TV doesnt allow me to change it in the settings.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Definitely a resolution setting.

With the Shaw receiver on, press Power, then Menu within a couple of seconds. This should allow you to bring up a diagnostic menu where you can change the resolution. Depending on how old the TV is, you may find that you are limited to 480p resolution.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Or 480I. You will most likely find that the picture will be the same with the composite and component inputs. At this level the type of connection (except for channel 3) will make little difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWESOME, it works. I needed to use component so the guide functionality would work, not for quality. But my sister is happy now!

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts