Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I was hoping that this group could help me with. As I am sure is the case with most of you, my program guide goes out for 12 days in advance. So, for example, today is Friday and my guide goes to the second Tuesday following. I have a number of series recordings set up such that there is always something scheduled to record on any day. Almost always each day I can check my scheduled recordings list and see the new recordings that have come up for my series recordings corresponding to the new guide information that was downloaded for 12 days in advance. Occasionally the scheduled recordings will not get updated on a particular day. In those situations, I can often force the scheduled recordings to appear by simply scheduling a new single episode recording and the scheduled recordings for the new day suddenly appear. Sometimes, however, even this does not work. In the past if I simply waited a day the new scheduled recordings corresponding to the series will show up. Currently, however, I have waited 3 days and my new scheduled recordings for these past 3 days have not appeared. My trick of creating a new episode recording does not work. Thus, it is Friday and my scheduled recordings only go out to a week from Saturday, when it should go to the second Tuesday from now based upon the guide information that I have. My questions are: Why are my scheduled recording based upon my series recordings sometimes not showing up? Is there anything that I can do to force the scheduled recordings to appear? Has anyone else noticed similar behaviour on their system? Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Z: I've never noticed this behavior but, if you go to Series Info, does it show that you have eg two recordings scheduled?
Is your concern that your programs won't get recorded?
I have noticed that, quite often, the program guide has to load data when I go out several days to see what is scheduled on the Guide - this may be associated with your issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I look at the Series info it does not show that I have recordings scheduled. The recordings simply aren't scheduled. Yes, my concern is that the shows won't get recorded. Every day that goes by the number of days with recordings scheduled gets smaller. If it continues like this, by the weekend I won't have any recordings being recorded. As I said, the recordings would always show up 12 days in advance when the new guide data showed up, except for last week and now no new recordings are showing up. Something must have happened last week. I believe the recordings information is actually stored in the cloud on the Bell servers, so I would assume that it is a problem at their end. I don't know.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You could try taking it up with Bell Canada Direct through dslreports - their web techs are excellent. First if not already, I would try rebooting the modem/router and the pvr - ie power fully off and unplugged, and see it that makes any difference. I agree it's very weird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having a similar issue I think. My PVR isn't recording the shows scheduled either. I am able to find the show on the guide and I am able force the record. When I click on it, I get the options of "Record this Episode" or "Cancel Series", so it recognizes it as a show I record but not this episode. Almost as if the episode wasn't new and I have it set to record only new episodes, but that is not the case.

When I do force the record manually, the episode doesn't stay in the thread of the show, etc. Not a major deal but for an OCD type like myself it clutters the PVR :/ I was hoping there was a solution but it doesn't seem to easy to find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I did a chat today with Fibe TV technical support to try and get this issue resolved. First they said that I needed a new PVR! I said that my PVR works fine it's just that the series are not showing up in the list of scheduled recordings. Then they said that causes of the PVR not recording include incorrect program information, broadcaster changes programming or no streams available and that I should look for another time that the show is on and record it. I said again you aren't understanding the problem, read what I wrote and don't just look for a canned response. After a few minutes they came back and said that there is a known issue with series recordings and until it is resolved they recommend using manual recordings. For my inconvenience they offered me a year of Crave for free. I thanked them and accepted it. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I did a chat today with Fibe TV technical support to try and get this issue resolved. First they said that I needed a new PVR! I said that my PVR works fine it's just that the series are not showing up in the list of scheduled recordings. Then they said that causes of the PVR not recording include incorrect program information, broadcaster changes programming or no streams available and that I should look for another time that the show is on and record it. I said again you aren't understanding the problem, read what I wrote and don't just look for a canned response. After a few minutes they came back and said that there is a known issue with series recordings and until it is resolved they recommend using manual recordings. For my inconvenience they offered me a year of Crave for free. I thanked them and accepted it. :)
Thanks for the follow-up zuker! I may do the same thing as you. Was this chat over the phone or you used their chat function on the website?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I am not the only one? Usually I have like 167 scheduled recordings and I only have 22 now. I will totally chat with them today

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got off of a long phone call with second level technical support. She said that mine was the second call she received today about this issue. She was really good and took the time to really understand the problem. She escalated it to the department that looks after the recordings and they had me create a new series recording and they will monitor all of my recordings activity for the next 24 to 48 hours to see if they can figure anything out. They haven't received enough complaints yet that they can classify the problem as an outage. Thus, if you are having this problem call in and ask to speak to second level technical support. (The people who answer the phone don't know anything and just want you to factory reset your PVR, which will do nothing.) If they classify it as an outage then more people will be looking at the problem trying to solve it. I'm supposed to call them back on Monday afternoon to check back on their progress. I will report back if anything comes of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spoke with someone and all he said : I will send you a new pvr since the issue is resolved by now. I’m kinda pissed off about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got off the phone with Fibe TV technical support. They said that my issue had been escalated to the WVOC (???) and that they have been looking into it because a number of people had called with this problem. They then said that they have an estimated time of resolution of 10:26 pm tonight, but that I might be able to resolve it by cycling through the channels. That all seemed dubious to me, but I said okay and if the problem still exists tomorrow then I will call back. After the call I deleted the series recording that they asked me to set up on Saturday and voila all of my scheduled recordings were back. So, it looks like they may have actually solved this problem. If you don't see if fixed now, perhaps at 10:26 pm tonight. YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to update on my side as well and to validate zuker's solve, I manually deleted one of the scheduled recordings I had just now and all my others showed up that were supposed to. So seems to be fixed for me too. I'd try this as well for anyone else with the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was experiencing a similar problem, but I didn't think to come here to see if it was affecting anyone else. Starting about July 16, my PVR stopped scheduling any new series recordings. Moreover, for a few recordings that it had already scheduled, the channel has subsequently changed their lineup, and the timeslots no longer had the episodes of the series in question; so the PVR should have noticed that and dropped the scheduled recordings (and maybe found new times to schedule), but it didn't. So in both cases, the scheduling of series recordings was not responding to updates in the guide info (either to schedule new recordings or revise existing ones). But we were still getting new guide info every day. We could see it in the on-screen guide, but it didn't seem to be reaching the series scheduling 'unit' in the PVR.

This didn't all come together in my head until Saturday 2 days ago. I tried Bell's online chat, and the agent said the only solution was to replace the PVR. I declined. Then I phoned tech support, and eventually got escalated. Level 2 phoned me back, and eventually escalated me again, saying I'd get a call back "within 24 to 48 hours". We're now at over 54 hours, and I'm wondering if I'll ever get a call back...

Because, sometime today (between 5pm and 7pm EDT, I think), my PVR suddenly scheduled a ton of series recordings (all the way out to the usual 12-day horizon).

My guess is that, although Bell was regularly pushing out revised guide info, there was something about it (since July 16) that failed to trigger the series scheduling 'unit' in the PVR. Going into Menu -> Settings -> System Info -> Guide Info, there's a "data version" that appears to be a serial number associated with each batch of guide info. So if, say, Bell were providing new guide info but using the same data version number, maybe that would be enough for the scheduling 'unit' to not bother looking. Unfortunately, I wasn't keeping track of the data version number while the problem was happening.

I'd be interested in knowing what the problem actually was, and how it got fixed. And, in case it happens again, what words I can say to the Bell support agent that will clue them in and get it fixed faster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To my surprise, all my scheduled recording reappear yesterday. They already sent me a new pvr, will be returning the new one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts