Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
If you use the cm7777 with the switch in the separate mode, then the scatter forager in the VHF input & the UHF antenna input would be kept separate UHF only.

I wouldn't rule out that KMSP-DT. It may only be a fair weather channel though. The forager should do better for the VHF than the bowtie antenna. If you mount the forager high enough and use it as a bidirectional for channel kttc to the front of the antenna & kmsp to the back of the antenna.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It will have to wait until this evening after work, but I definitely want to grab my wire cutters and try making a slot antenna!

The part that intrigues me the most is the reception pattern, which could work well for my 2 vhf-hi stations that are about 180 degrees apart.

Thanks for the advice, ota canuck!
I'll report back with my findings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I got my slot antenna constructed last night.

From my initial channel scan, it seems to perform pretty well, but I should have set it up where my 'old' 2-bay VHF antenna sits.

I'll have to try moving it after work tonight, so I have a better "A to B" comparison between the 2-bay and the slot antennas.

An attic antenna setup may be convenient for experimenting, but it sure is a multipath/hotspot nightmare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I moved the 'scatter forager' slot antenna into the spot that my large 2-bay VHF antenna occupied.

Reception-wise, they seem pretty similar.
(Except for the slot antenna is considerably more manageable than the 2-bay VHF beast!!!)
The slot antenna does seem to reject multipath interference better, though.
It also doesn't seem to suffer from dropouts every time a truck drives by on the the street in front of the house, too.

What I really want to do is get my antennas out of the attic, and on to the roof of either the garage or house.
I don't know if that'll give me the extra gain to possibly capture any of my farther-away stations or not.

I just have to sort out the best (and yet least frustrating) way to ground the setup first.

·
Registered
741 Posts
A pedestrian question, but what technique does one use to make the 45 degree bends on the mesh? Just grab a set of pliers and bend one wire at a time?

61 - 68 of 68 Posts