Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive been enjoying my trial subscription of sirius/xm with my new vehicle. I am considering subscribing for a year. Just a question for the "old timers" here. Do you find the audio quality as good as fm quality. It must be stereo quality, but I don't see my stereo indicator come on in sat mode like I do when in fm? Any comments on the audio qaulity?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not FM Quality

I think most will agree that neither Sirius or XM provide FM sound quality. They could but they have opted for quantity over quality. I find the XM sound to be OK as long as you don't do a direct comparison. I have a built in XM radio in my 09 Chev Malibu so it's easy to compare sound quality between FM and XM. When I listen to FM it does sound somewhat better, however then a stupid commerical comes on and I'm back to XM in a flash. My patience with all the FM chatter is gone.

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Satellite radio is delivered to your radio in compressed mono.
The bright side is: there is no static.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sirius XM limits music to a maximum 15kHZ, just like FM. I suspect talk stations are limited at a much lower frequency. That has the effect of using less bandwidth and reducing distortion that would occur at high frequencies. The 128kHZ internet stream is not bad. The satellite music signals are compressed to about a 40-60kHZ stream, which causes even more high frequency loss and distortion. OTOH, I just listen to the music and don't worry too much about the sound quality. Just about anything is better than the local FM stations around here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been with Sirius for over two years
I drove to Florida last year and had commercial free
Music all the way there and back
I love satelitte radio

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I think most will agree that neither Sirius or XM provide FM sound quality.
Absolutely. It just goes to show how bad commercial radio is that we will pay to listen to lousy quality compressed audio!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Not having to hunt around to find a decent radio station when traveling more than makes up for the less than perfect sound quality. IMO.

I have a list of presets for when I'm traveling alone and a different list of presets for when the Mrs. is along for the trip.

Some of the talk stations seem to have much worse quality than others but maybe that's just my lousy hearing!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Ears are fine. Music stations are typically higher bitrates than talk stations. As I recall, the classical music stations had the highest bitrates while the less listened to talk stations had the worst bitrates.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Satellite radio is delivered to your radio in compressed mono.
The bright side is: there is no static.
Satellite radio is not mono. there is some content that is mono like talk radio but music should be stereo so long as its recorded that way. If you are using an FM transmitter type adapter of some kind I know that some are Mono but that's not the satellite radio's fault. Also if you use an FM transmitter to listen to it on your radio you will be taking a quality hit. those little FM adapters are generally poor at best.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have it built in my vehicle, and also has an amp and it sounds just fine to me. It's not quite CD quality but well above FM in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I personally find the music channels on satellite radio are about on par with broadcast FM. The talk-only channels are terrible.

Also if you use an FM transmitter to listen to it on your radio you will be taking a quality hit. those little FM adapters are generally poor at best.
I've got a CCrane model and it works very well. Full stereo modulator with adjustable input level.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I find Sirius music to be of pretty poor quality.

If a 128k internet radio stream sounds about as good as FM, then Sirius is like listening to a 28k or 56k internet stream.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I have Sirius and some days are better than others for the same station. I listen to Hair Nation and Boneyard daily. Sometimes they have a very clear sound, sometimes they're full of audio artifacts that are hard to ignore.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Is it possible that off air FM stations are interfering with the FM modulator?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts