Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to the High North, Resolute Bay Nunavut to be exact, for an RCMP transfer. I suscribed to Shaw direct. Due to the location of my house, the strongest signal I can get is 30. When I called, the operator basically told me that with a 30 signal, I can get any programming on Sat A, and any of the programming on Sat B would be unavailable. He described Sat B as the HD programming and some other international stations. Is there a list anywhere that will tell me what Sat A provides for programming vs what Sat B provides? I am trying to upgrade me programming to a bigger package, but won't if I can't get the channels.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Single Receiver LNB?

I have a 75 CM Dish. I was told that only one receiver could be connected to this dish, however there are 4 inputs on the LNB. I have a second receiver on the way, in a few weeks it should arrive. I am just curious if there is such a thing as an LNB that only supports one receiver?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am just curious if there is such a thing as an LNB that only supports one receiver?
In the general world of kuBand satellite reception, there is such a thing, but I don't believe Shaw service uses one at this time.

The current 75e with the quad LNB (i.e., four outpouts on the LNB), as-is, will operate up to four receivers independently. I believe you can increase this number by adding an external switch, but I'm not a switch expert, so I'll let someone else pick up on that subject.

If you are using a PVR receiver such as the 530 or 630, that unit will require as many of the four ouptuts as there are tuners in the receiver. For example, the ability to watch one show and record another at the same time will require coax to be attached from the receiver to 2 of the 4 LNB outputs, and the LNB will then support only two additional receivers.

Offhand, I don't know of any Shaw LNB that is limited to just one receiver.

It is true, however, that Shaw allows only one receiver for your subscription price. If you add a second receiver, you will pay a multiple receiver of fee of 5,99$. I don't think there is a further charge for a third or fourth receiver.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
With the quad LNB you can have from one to four coax lines. A PVR like the 530 or 630 requires two coax feeds; the regular receivers only need one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 75 CM Dish. I was told that only one receiver could be connected to this dish, however there are 4 inputs on the LNB. I have a second receiver on the way, in a few weeks it should arrive. I am just curious if there is such a thing as an LNB that only supports one receiver?
We do have some LNBs that only support one receiver but we do not provide it anymore. The LNB that you have is a quad non-stacked. You can hook up to 4 coax cables to it and more if you have a multi-switch. Each receiver requires it's own coax to work properly.

With regards to the multiple receiver charge, we apply the charge if you have more than 1 receiver on your account but you can have upto 6 and it will only be the one charge monthly. The charge is waived on some packages.

Hope this helps.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Receiver Quality

Can a receiver cause you to have a poor signal quality? I am running an old DSR405 on a 75E dish. I get a signal quality/strength of between 20-30. I am in a northern community in Nunavut which in its self causes problems. I've played with the alignment, skew, elevation and so far 30 is the best i've seen on this receiver. I get the majority of my programming, except on the NFL sunday ticket package, out of the 14 SD channels I get 6 of them. I am awaiting a response on ordering a bigger dish then 75CM.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arctic Sun

For those who have read my other posts, you know by now that I've been having signal quality issues living in the high arctic of Nunavut. Over the last two weeks, i've noticed that every sunday, around 3PM (MT), when I watch football, the sun passes accros my dish, I lose my signal for about 15 minutes. Well Now I'm seeing it gradually occur later in the day when I return form work. My question is, does the Sun have an affect on your signal, or could my signal loss be another issue, secondly, if the sun is causing an issue, can I expect improvement once the sun disappears for good here in a few weeks. Is there anything I can buy or install on the dish to eliminate the sun problem?

·
Banned
181 Posts
I guess you will soon not have he sun problem.......I would try one of those covers that will protect it from the elements....good luck!!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
For those who have read my other posts, you know by now that I've been having signal quality issues living in the high arctic of Nunavut. Over the last two weeks, i've noticed that every sunday, around 3PM (MT), when I watch football, the sun passes accros my dish, I lose my signal for about 15 minutes. Well Now I'm seeing it gradually occur later in the day when I return form work. My question is, does the Sun have an affect on your signal, or could my signal loss be another issue, secondly, if the sun is causing an issue, can I expect improvement once the sun disappears for good here in a few weeks. Is there anything I can buy or install on the dish to eliminate the sun problem?
You are experiencing Solar Transit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_transit

In a week or two, if not sooner, this problem should be gone. It occurs every March and October. With a weaker signal you are more prone to losing picture than others who have a strong signal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Danny001 - If you are not already doing it I would suggest getting an inexpensive signal strength meter which will help you "peak" your dish's signal. There is a significant time lag between moving your dish and the signal strenght readout from your receiver. This makes it difficult to maximize what signal you have. In case you haven't seen one, these devices have two connectors on them which are the same size as the connectors on your LNB and receiver. The meter is placed in series with the signal line and is usually positioned at the dish end of the cable. This way you can move your dish and see the signal strenght right beside you at the dish. You will need a second short piece of signal cable to patch it in. When the meter is in place a needle deflects based on the amount of signal going through the wire. You can adjust the signal to a baseline and then make small movements to your dish which will immediately be showed by small movements of the meters needle. You can get a good sense of there the "peak" of your dishe's position should be without having to depend on the delayed readout of the receiver and having someone yell the numbers to you across the yard. After the dish is locked into position you remove the meter and put the original cable back directly to the LNB. These meters cost about $30 - $50 dollars and will even be helpful if you get a bigger dish. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solar Transit:

Is it possible that I will only notice it on certain channels, or should I see it with all channels? I notice it more with the NFL sunday ticket package, with NFL 8-14, 1-7 seem fine.

Signal meter:

Thanks, I have used one already, no matter what I do I havent gotten higher than 30. I am exploring buying a bigger 1 m dish. Anyone think I could have an LNB problem? Is there anyway to test it ?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Danny001, See http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131147,
ArcticRaven is having the same problem!
I don't have Shaw Direct, but I have helped friends with theirs and I would suggest that Shaw is a little more towards customer support than Bell. I would contact Shaw and explain what you have done to check the satellite aim etc. and see if they could send you a larger dish!
Otherwise maybe your employer could install one of these on your work vehicle.... https://secure.shawdirect.ca/promotions/english/motosat/default.asp
Kiddin' or am I?
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Solar Transit:

Is it possible that I will only notice it on certain channels, or should I see it with all channels? I notice it more with the NFL sunday ticket package, with NFL 8-14, 1-7 seem fine.
The weaker the channel or really the transponder it is on the better chance those channels will be noticed during Solar Transit.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No. I'm guessing you ask because you plan to split the line to connect the addition receiver? If so, you can't do that. There is no such thing as splitting with satellite. Each receiver needs a dedicated line.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts