Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
328 Posts
Does this mean my TELUS handset will finally work there? I was there last month and was shocked to find my phone could not make a call or even send a text!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hasn't Rogers Wirless had this service for a couple of years now in Saskatchewan? Why is this such big news for Sasktel?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The news is that the former CDMA carriers have finally completed a full national next generation network that competes with Rogers.

·
Banned
328 Posts
This is big news for TELUS customers, I went there a few months ago and my HTC Hero did not get any service. Its pretty tough to communicate with no phone or texting when you are away from home.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^

Exactly. This is good news for Albertans who have purchased modern-era phones on Telus' HSPA+ network and found themselves dead in the water in Saskatchewan.

I believe MTS in Manitoba is now the last carrier in Canada needing to update its technology, but it's coming soon.

“For wireless companies not to do an HSPA overbuild, particularly in a [mature] market … it is becoming highly important. And not just to have the iPhone. Almost all of the marquee smart phones are getting developed in the HSPA format right now, and increasingly in LTE [Long Term Evolution].”

-National Bank Financial analyst Greg MacDonald

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What I don't get is, Sasktel was so late getting into the 3G game they should have jumped over it and went straight to 4G.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
that was the plan all along

the hspa came into effect because of the olympics

bell/telus were going to fire theirs up to capture the roamers

to keep bell/telus from building across sask, sasktel agreed to build it themselves and allow telus/bell roaming

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I live in good old Saskatchewan and have rogers in the rural setting smaller city. We do not have hspa or 3g in the smaller cities. Sasktel however has coverage across Saskatchewan covering allot of the smaller cities. Sasktel is government why they are so far behind I do not know. If rogers does not hurry up and supply HSPA to the other communities I will be switching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts