Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
In my case, the remote control keys and scrolling through the guide has improved and is much more predictable; but I have a component only TV, no HDMI, and no IR interference, in case those are factors. Before the upgrade, just touching the FF key would result in '>>>>' and I would constantly overshoot the commercials- way too sensitive. Now there is more delay between key presses, and the FF level stays at '>', until the key is pressed again. I have an external HD and have no glitches, when recording 2 channels and watching a pre-recorded program.
I would really welcome the ability to customize the IPG by ordering the channels according to an individual's preferences. I find the major Canadian broadcasters 'too far' from the major American networks; also specialty channels could be grouped together more logically, instead of being all over the map.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well I got he update and we all thought it was cool except for how it all slowed down. then yesterday we lost ALL our recordings. all shows are still on the list but cannot be accessed. yes I do have an EHD.
at this point have given up after 3-4 reboots of PVR and the EHD.
I am ready for the big move... reformat.
How do I proceed? I am looking to just starting from scratch, no recordings or anything just as if I just got the PVR and EHD. they are still plugged together.
How do I do it?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No. TSN/2 had audio breakup and picture freezes, but if I backed up the programme and watched the same sequence again, then the audio breakup wasn't there. That's why originally I thought it may be a HDD problem, however, it didn't happen on other programming on other channels and I don't believe it was specific to either the external or internal drive... After the two cold reboots, everything's been fine.
Ah ok

I have no audio on TvTropolis

Im gonna cold reboot

·
Registered
332 Posts
Twice since the update I have lost the video of all channels but still had the audio, and I was able to see video on other channels when I turned on PIP (only the PIP window had video) but I could not swap them. Turning the 8300HD on and off doesn't help, but rebooting does.

Is this a problem with the new firmware or a problem with one of my tuners?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem today. Fixed by reboot the unit. (8300HD)

Has anyone been experiencing the following since the update:

Copy Protection
YPbPr output is blocked
Press "exit" to cancel

No video (audio is separate out to speakers) until Exit pressed and the channel changed.

8300hd connected by hdmi to av receiver connected by hdmi to tv.

I never had this message before the update. And I have had this exact setup for at least 4 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
after the first firmware update PVR stopped working but resolved after hard reboots...

then late last week, PVR stopped working entirely. wasted 1 hour with the outsourced tech service which was fruitless.. sent a "technician" over (the extent of their expertise seems to be swapping the box with a new one) and the scratched the $#%@$^ out of the chassis and LCD display of my media streamer (popcorn hour c-200). I was at work so wasn't around to watch this idiot! Filed an official complaint with technical services and we'll see what will happen. Just overall TERRIBLE SERVICE from videotron!!!

Did anyone actually get a letter from videotron about the firmware upgrade and at least warning us of potential problems? THE ONLY LETTER I GOT WAS ONE TELLING ME HOW I'M GOING TO BE PAYING 3$ MORE A MONTH. for what? better service? what a joke!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Message 39: subtle issue resolved; eHDD spins up

In message #39, I mentioned a subtle issue which I thought involved some new handshaking between the STB and the TV, since the upgrade.
In fact, the delay is caused by the external hard drive spinning up. Since the upgrade, both internal and external both spin down when the STB is turned off. When turned on, the internal spins up slightly faster then the external (a Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS Hard Drive) causing the delay.
If the STB is off but recording (both HDD's at full speed), there is no delay between the STB and TV upon power-up. Because of this new feature, I wonder if the green drives would now work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
update on my external drive issues

Just in case anyone else runs into something similar, I want to give an update on my EHD status. My old drive (WD SE16 500 GB) would fail to spin up upon turning on the set top box, and the contents were then inaccessible. I tried to connect the drive to my Linux computer via USB to see if it was recognized, but no luck there, the drive just doesn't spin up anymore. There is a known firmware bug with the particular WD drive that I had so I'm guessing that this may be involved somehow. I'm still planning to try connecting the drive directly via SATA to the computer to see if I can get it to spin up, but haven't gotten around to that yet (no ESATA ports on my computer).

I replaced the drive with a 1 TB WD Black drive, and for the past week that has been working perfectly in the same old case (Vantec Nexstar 3). Other than a few recordings that I lost which I hadn't seen yet, I'm now OK with the update. I do agree with others that the colour scheme of black text on dark blue background is stupid. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
EHD spin down status

Hi Tanta,

my impression is that the 1 TB black drive doesn't completely shut down when the internal drive does so. The case stays slightly warm to the touch even after the STB has been off for a few hours, and I can just barely hear what seems to be the EHD spinning. From this it seems likely to me that the drive goes into a power saving "slow speed" mode rather than shutting down completely. I'll try to take another more careful look at this when I get home this evening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More 8300HD Issues after latest Videotron SARA Update

I also have multiple problems since the firmware upgrade. My setup includes an external HD in a Vantec enclosure and 1TB WD Caviar Black drive. Here are the problems I have:

1.) Occasionally I'll start a recording and when I check later, it only recorded part of the show (eg: 20 minutes). I have about 50% free space so space is not the issue.

2.) I used to be able to check in the bios to see 'free space' for calculation of bitrates. Sometimes this updates, sometimes it doesn't.

I've tried the rebooting, plugging out the external, rebooting, repeat, repeat, etc..This solved another problem--the slow menu...but nothing else.

Videotron tech support tells me that I need to reformat. They tell me that downgrading the firmware will not help.

I'm writing to ask if anyone has noticed a similar problem and found a solution other than a reformat? Did anyone get them to revert to the old firmware and did that solve this problem?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
huh what just happened?

I was watching the Spurs-Mavs game and the screen went black during 5 minutes

All the stations were off; I had to reboot

Thank you Videotron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since the update, I have the following symptoms. I have an external HDD which has been working flawlessly for at least 2 years.

The first time the 8300HD is powered on each day, I get pixellation and audio drop outs on HD channels (SD channels seem unaffected). This will last a few minutes and then everything seems to be fine for the remainder of the day.

I have rebooted several times. The software upgrade itself, a few weeks ago, did not bring any issue other than having to reboot twice as recommented earlier in this thread.

I suspect this could be related to the way my external drive is handled (or mishandled) by the new software, but this is just a suspicion. The drive is a Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS in a Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosure.

Anyone else having similar issues ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
new firmware and my receiver

with the new firmware came a new problem now the image and sound keep flicking on and off on my screen...did a few test...

1-it's only with videotron that i have the problem...xbox,ps3,apple tv everything else work fine...

2-try changing both hdmi cable and source input (use my xbox hdmi on the xbox source) and the problem still happen..

3-hook my regular receiver (the one that i use in my bedroom) and i still have the same problem!!!

my receiver is a yamaha htr-6190...anyone else had problem like this??

thanks for any help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Powder,

When the HD channels image flick on an off, switch to any SD station and go back to the HD one you had the issue with

It works every time for me

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Powder, Make sure you run the "HD Setup Wizard" after the update. It could be your TV is not able to display one of the resolutions being sent by the PVR.

Activate the "HD Setup Wizard" by turning off your PVR and pressing GUIDE and INFO at the same time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I might have to try this, too often lets say Im watching cnn in sd, if I go back to the HD cannels I get audio but a balck screen on all hd channels. have to turn off pvr tv then rstart and its ok again until it decides to act up again which can be a few hours to several days, very very annoying, eventhing was working flawlesly before, Now I have a remote that is even clunkyer (slower) than before, the responsivness is just lame and a pain in the butt.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts