Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all,

I just bought a used Samsung 55” LED Smart TV (2011?). This TV is a little older than my current LG 50” Smart TV (2013) with built in wifi. The Samsung has wifi but needs to have a Samsung dongle. It seems to have better overall picture than my LG as per color and contrast goes. But has two issues that I noticed.

1. During movies and shows with night or dark scenes, the Samsung produces this weird pixelated blotchy picture that my LG does not do. The LG produces smooth blacks that transitions into lighter/deeper blacks with no visible ring like pixilation. The Samsung is very noticeable in creating a ring like images that are pixelated when the blacks are transitioning to different shades of black. Making supposedly dark scenes look as if it’s not.

2. Second issue is sometimes it will produce white dots randomly throughout the picture. Looks sparkly in nature, this is not as noticeable as the problem above and it doesn’t seem to happen on everything on the screen.

Are these just simple video adjustments? I have been searching the internet to find how to correct these issues, but since this is the best way to describe the symptoms without actually knowing what the issues are called (technical terms) it is hard to find a solution.

I have a pic to show what I mean about the blacks, hopefully it can be noticed, it's not the clearest of pics. But I included arrows to point it out.

https://ibb.co/jf0xjcV

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
1. No TV ever comes with the settings optimized. Check out the following link.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30...76161-faq-what-you-need-do-your-new-hdtv.html

The blacks should become smoother if you reduce the black level (sometimes called Brightness) somewhat, but don't reduce it so much that the blacks are "crushed." If you put a black test pattern on screen (or something containing a fair bit of black), reduce the black level to the point that the blacks get no blacker. It's easy to find this point by raising and lowering the black level to find that point.

2. Sparklies are often caused by a poor connection like a poor HDMI cable, etc.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
1. I've seen this on our Samsung TV on dark scenes, especially greys. It may be due to insufficient bit depth. LCD panels are typically made with 8 or 10 bit colour depth. Even worse is that some 8 bit panels don't use all 256 shades. That means that each colour can be rendered in maximum of 256 (8 bit) or 1024 (10 bit) shades. 8 bit panels can have what is called banding, which is caused by insufficient colour depth to render finely graduated colours or greys correctly. As 57 pointed out, it can be covered up by adjusting the settings. Turning down the brightness can eliminate much of it for dark greys. However, it can result in crushed blacks (elimination of black details) with some source material. Some programming may have crushed blacks from the source which could be the root cause of the problem. That may be a result of the use of too much compression by some cable and satellite TV providers.

2. As pointed out, this can be a defective HDMI cable. I've also seen it happen with a defective HDMI switch. I would first try a different TV input. Then I would try a different cable. If the signal is being run through an amplifier or HDMI switch, I would try different inputs on those, taking them out of the setup or replacing them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts