Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed a HDMI cable which connects my computer to receiver. It is on BD HDMI input on receiver. Nothing else changed. Before my Samsung TV can send back audio to receiver through HDMI since it has ARC. But now it can't. It can only use TV speakers. I have checked and googled how to set up, but could not fix it. Does anyone have solutions? Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't change the setting in receiver. I happened to plug in the replaced HDMI cable to the Sat/Cable HDMI in on receiver, then the TV can't send back audio to receiver. The receiver appears "Video Only" when switches to TV input.

Yesterday I found the error, so I unplugged all input, and turned off and on the Anynet+ on TV, and the HDMI control on receiver is always ON. So the TV detected the receiver. But can output PCM only. It's 2 Channels audio. But before it can deliver Dolby Digital to receiver.

I thought I could live with that so far. But last night, it was not working again. I checked the setting, still same as before. So I had no idea what happened.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally I found the reason. Before I connected my PC to receiver through an adapter to convert MINI HDMI to HDMI, because the Nvidia 450 video card has MINI HDMI port only. But the HDMI cable is thick and heavy, sometimes the adapter got loose so I lost signal. So I bought an Mini HDMI to HDMI cable v1.4 on eBay. At first it works fine. 3D and sound are both OK. Then I found my TV can't send audio back to receiver through HDMI ARC.

Last night, I unplugged the PC HDMI cable, then TV found receiver. Although it only can send PCM 2.0 channels audio back. The Dobly Digital is not working.When I plug the PC back, the TV can't find any equipment. So I use extra digital audio cable to connect TV to receiver's digital audio INPUT. They all work fine. Just I can't control TV and receiver at pressing one button.

But this morning I turned on TV and receiver, no audio at all. No matter from PC or TV! Only the TV's speaker is working. Last night before I turned them off, they all worked fine. That's really really weird!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rolled back to old HDMI connection: HDMI cable connecting video card to receiver through a MINI-HDMI to HDMI adapter. Now the ARC works fine, except TV can send back PCM audio to receiver only. Before it can send back Dolby Digital audio to receiver.

Once I plugged the MINI HDMI to HDMI cable back, ARC is not working. But I can playback 3D BD movies on PC, and the audio is DTS-HD without issue. I Googled, but could not find any reports about HDMI cable interfering ARC.

·
Super Moderator
56,933 Posts
What signal are you trying to get from the TV to the AVR via ARC? The TV's internal tuner? All other devices should be connected directly to the AVR and there should be no need to get any audio "from" the TV. Here are some comments.

1. I also have had many issues trying to get ARC to work via HDMI.

2. I believe that the HDMI link feature needs to be turn on, on both devices.

3. If you're trying to get audio from the TV, you may need to turn off the TV's internal speakers.

4. Many TVs only send PCM out - depends on make/model. Some TVs send nothing if you're trying to make the signals go "through" the TV. See the following FAQ (bolding).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

5. Sometimes there is another setting in the TV that needs to be set properly to allow for DD5.1. There is no DTS on TV signals.

6. The TV should not be used as a "switch" (signals going through the TV) since often you lose signal quality (HD audio (Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA) gone, DD5.1 gone, DTS gone, etc. You should connect directly from your device(s) to the AVR, not "through" the TV.

7. In most cases I've gone with an optical cable from the TV to the AVR for TV (internal tuner) audio signals.

You would think that the ARC should be straight forward, but I've found that it's anything but.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I want TV to send audio from Internal tuner to AVR. If I unplug all other HDMI cable, only keep the one OUTPUT from receiver to ARC-HDMI input on TV, TV can send TV's Dobly digital audio to receiver. Once I plug other HDMI cables to the HDMI inputs on receiver, the TV can output PCM only.

·
Super Moderator
56,933 Posts
That is indeed very odd. Can you get DD5.1 if you use the Optical connection from the TV to the AVR? When using the optical connection if you cannot get DD5.1 also try switching to an HDMI input on the TV that is not the ARC input...just in case the AVR/TV "communication" via HDMI is defeating the DD5.1 output capability of the TV.

Also check the operating manual for the TV to see if this is discussed somewhere - I usually search the pdf of the operating manual for "optical" or "PCM" to find the relevant section... As mentioned in my earlier posts I run into a lot of TVs that limit the optical output to PCM for "passthrough" signals but the internal tuner sends DD5.1. Perhaps somehow the TV is "thinking" that the signal is passthrough rather than direct when the HDMI signals from other devices are "seen" by the TV and sent back via ARC, thereby also limiting the output of the internal tuner to PCM. As I said - very odd and strictly conjecture on my part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts